Collection feature

Hi.
I would like to know if it is possible to include in a collection the name of the unit (s) where these files reside, in the way that so-called disk catalogers work. With my limited knowledge of Opus' benefits, I can't find a way to do it.
If DO currently did not have this function, could its inclusion be considered in a future version?
Thank you very much for your attention,

The Location column will tell you that and should be turned on for collections by default. If not, you can add it.

Hi Leo, thanks for the quick reply.
Imagine this: I have several external drives with, for example, audio files, and I have created a collection with them. But, for whatever circumstance, the unit takes the same drive letter when inserted into the usb port, whereby the location column always shows the same path, say F: \ ...
A possible solution would be to place a folder at the first level with the name of the disk, or, by disk manager, forcibly assign different drive letters to different drives,
but it is still a fudge, right?

Collections don't work well with removable media (other than temporarily while the media remains inserted).

If you want a cataloguing tool, they probably aren't the right thing to use.

Sorry.
I assume that the function is not considered as future improvement.
I thought it was not a bad idea a file manager that was able to function as a cataloger.

With a bit of scripting you can access a drive's volume name via the FileSystemObject:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/language/reference/user-interface-help/volumename-property

to lxp:
Thanks, but I don't know how to use this in Opus

I have a script for this that I will tidy up and publish.

to lxp:
Excuse me, could it have to do with "add custom column"? I've been browsing the documentation and creating custom "script add-in" commands ...

It would be great to see that script. I'm going to do a little more research on those functions.
The truth is that, although I have been using Opus since the times of the Amiga, I have no idea of the fantastic potential it holds. It's a shame, but I am absolutely useless for these things.

I don't think there's any way you could associate an item with a collection with its removable media label when the media is no longer there.

You'll find the script here. Maybe it's a step in the right direction :slight_smile:

Wow! I am impressed! :bowing_man:

I am not impressed! :sunglasses:

HI lxp, many thanks.
I apologize for replying so late.
Although I have absolutely no idea about javascript, I think I got the procedure.
In my case, the execution of robocopy stops when trying the $recycle.bin directory with access denied error.
I think that is easily solvable, but I think I should inform you of it.I repeat, thank you very much.
Please excuse me for the delay and my bad english

If you're not mixing contents from multiple USB drives together, once you add files and folders from a drive to a collection, why not just name the collection itself after the drive label?

I work with MANY USB drives... and have had to resort to using letters ABOVE H for drives that I want to have a semi-persistent drive letter and let the "unknown" drives fight things out for letters E, F and G.

But I generally name the drive labels with my preferred drive letter at the end (like USB_32G_O or some such).

Are you getting an error like this?

That's probably just a timing problem. Wait a bit and try again. Or delete the file manually.

If Robocopy itself fails I would need more details. Maybe I didn't get all parameters right.

One thing to keep in mind is Opus may verify the files in a collection still exist and remove the ones that don't. (I think it won't if the drive letter doesn't currently exist, but that won't be enough if the letter is being used by multiple USB sticks. I'm not 100% that's the rule either; this is from memory and it's a long time since I looked at what happens in detail.)

So this is a situation where collections may not work well, and creating zero-byte files or shortcuts or similar may be superior (which is what Lxp's robocopy command does).

(For me personally, I'd probably just list the contents of each USB stick to a CSV file using Tools > Print/Export Folder, but I guess it depends what you want to do with the list.)

Now I understand why you said that collections don't work well with external disks.
I take a LOT of photographs, which take up a lot of space, which is why I use several hard drives, and since I use the computers in my two homes (first and second homes), in the end it is difficult to change the drive letters. I use collections to classify those and also other files. For this reason I am interested in making the name of the disk appear in a file location in a collection. Obviously, the disks of the different computers have significant names.

No, it is a problem of accessing files that belonged to another user.
Clarification: I have several systems installed on the same computer, and although the username matches, obviously the ID is different, and being the NTFS file system, the problem is served.
Robocopy, according to its standard parameters, waits 30 seconds and retries, another 30" and retries, etc. So I said earlier that I think the solution is easy.

Me too. :slightly_smiling_face:
See above.
Anyway, many, many thanks for your comments and help.

One more thing:
It's not just about making a printed list of files, but working with them, editing them, moving them, etc., in short, the things that can be done from a file manager, and Opus is, from my point of view, by far the best file manager, THE file manager ... as it says on its website.