Color of shortcuts

Somehow, somewhere, I assigned orange to shortcuts, but can no longer find where I did this.

(What I really want to find out now is whether I can assign a color to junctions and/or symbolic links).

1 Like

Should be under Settings -> File Types -> .LNK -> File Colors.

Not sure if you can assign colours to junctions/links though (except that most of them are flagged with the System attribute and end up red by default, which can be configured).

Right, thanks. I was trying to find it in Preferences.

I'm probably out of luck on junctions. The one in which I'm most interested at the moment is one I created myself which doesn't have the System attribute. I guess I could give it that attribute, but don't think that would give the indication I really want.

Part of the issue is that running XP on a slow computer, I had disabled the display of icons for the files and folders in the lister and have left them disabled because I didn't think they really provided any value. I don't remember for sure, but the lack of identifying icons is probably why I assigned an identifying color to shortcuts.

Now on a much faster Win 7 system, maybe it's time to turn icons back on. Then I get an arrow overlayed on the icon as a visual indication that the item is something other than a straightforward file or folder.

If it's just for one or more specific folders then you can customize their icons or colours individually.

See this thread, and the one it links to at the top: Set File & Folder Colors/Labels via Context Menu

Thanks. I'll look at that, but I suspect turning icons back on in the lister is actually the most practical approach.