Column width adjustment

I can't getting settings to change the column width (for filenames - defaulting presently to 799) to stick.

I am going into Folder Options/Columns, changing the filename column width to 400, clicking apply, and also (having read this support area) then gone to the Display tab and unchecked Auto-size columns. Clicking all relevant Apply buttons.

This results in the change actually immediately displaying, underneath the dialog box and when the dialog box is closed.

I then click Settings/Set as Default Lister.

But, the settings revert to the previous defaults when relaunched.

Any help appreciated.

Please see the Folder Formats FAQ.

The FAQ probably says it all beautifully, but this might also help: To get the formats to stick,

1. in Folder Options, I click the Save button and select "For all folders + Layouts and Folder tabs" (the very last option).
  2. Then I repeat the sizing and saving operation in the other lister (if using a dual lister)

For me, this works for all folders, because I don't have Opus changing formats for picture folders etc.
But for Flat view and Collections, a bit more magic may be involved, depending on what you want.
In Prefs / Folders / Folder Formats / Default Formats, if Flat View is checked (for instance), the format you saved earlier won't be used. IMO this is great, as it gives you a chance to add a "Location" column in flat view, so you can know where the files are coming from. Same for Collections. To edit these formats (Flat view etc), in the menu just mentioned, select the format then click the small Edit icon at the very top of the window.

That's exactly what the FAQ says, except the FAQ covers a couple of extra details and has illustrations.

I see that it now even covers Opus light, which is taking it to another degree of awesome.