Columns resize by themselves on auto-refresh

I had a lister and I arranged the column widths to exactly what I needed in order to see all the important information:

When I manually refresh (i.e., press F5) it retains the widths I set.

But every so often Dopus autorefreshes the window and when it does, it undoes all my resizing (argh):

How can I make the widths that I set "stick"?

Thanks,
Yosh

Folder > Folder Options. What are the columns set to do there?

OK - I was wondering where something like that may be. Didn't find it under preferences.
At any rate, here is what I see there:

All the Widths are set to Auto. when I open the dropdown, I see this:

I do not see an option that says "Leave the widths the way I manually set them". OTOH, I see that number 429 (different for each field), which I suspect is the "width" (in some unspecified units) at present.

This suggests that maybe if I change the width of all five columns I could then hurry up (before DO spontaneously resets them) and go into this dialog and select the number for each of the five columns and press OK or Apply. Is that really what I have to do to get DO to remember the widths I manually set? That can't be right.

So I looked further and see on the Display tab:
Should I deselect that option? But which takes precedence? This option's setting or that in the Columns tab? If this is deselected but each column says "Auto" - what will happen? Aha! I checked back on the Columns tab and see that when you deselect this option, they all change from Auto to their respective numbers. However, the numbers are those that were in effect when the Folder Options dialog opened, not what they are right now (which lovely non-modal DO had allowed me to change before deselecting the Auto-size option). Oh well, at least now I know how DO works and how to set this to do what I want.

Further testing shows that once I've deselected Auto-size, my chosen column widths do indeed "stick".

thank you for the pointer of where to look and thanks for your patience in reading my journey of discovery.

Follow-up question: how do I set the default for Auto-size to be off? (although since this seems to be the first time I noticed that behavior, maybe I wouldn't want it to generally be off - but is it even possible to set the default for it?)

Suggestion: Perhaps the Display tab should be first, before the Columns tab? It has the more general options, plus it affects what happens on the Columns tab.

We'll be moving the auto-size checkbox into the Columns tab in the future.

Turn it off and make sure the columns are not set to auto-size if you don't want the columns to auto-size.

See Folder Formats: Quick Guide for how to change the settings used by all folders.

thanks for the super-quick reply. I'll read that other material.