Command line shortcuts?

An alias only defines a single folder path... but you don't need to use "buttons" to do what you're essentially wanting to do.

Leo mentioned a method that should be pretty agreeable - instead of using aliases, just create a "User Command" which runs command(s) to open the paths you want in a dual-pane view. Then you'd just use a different key than the "/" slash prefix to type it the same way as an alias... i.e. from your example above you'd type ">anybac" instead of "/anybac".

You can also bind a hotkey to run the command cli quickcmd if you don't like having to use the ">" prefix... I've done that myself because in order to type ">" you also have to hold down the key... so I set "." as a hotkey to run cli quickcmd, which let's me type ".anybac" into my lister.

Edit: Woops... posted without seeing Leo's reply... and I just remembered that as he said you can just "change" the ">" char to something else instead of creating a hotkey to run the cli quickcmd command. Either ways works to let you choose a different char to prefix the command ot load your folders though.

Easier than that, just change the > to whatever you want via Preferences:

Hi, leo.

Thanks for your support. I am afraid it doesn't work for me though. Actually it only half works: it opens in a pane one of the specified folders in the command, but, in the opposite pane, it opens a "blank" tab, with apparently no folder.

Also, please, note that I use my folder tabs set to "Locked (allow folder changes)". However, I also tried your suggested code with normal tabs, but the result was the same, as reported above.

As to using hotkeys, it's great that DOpus has support for this and actually I do use it for a few folders, but I don't think it would be feasible when a given user has the need to quickly access MANY pairs of different folders at any given time - the possible amount of hotkey combinations that could be set up for this wouldn't be enough and maybe even hard to remember, at least for particular users, like me.

Thanks.

Sorry about that, here's a corrected command:

Go NEWTAB=findexisting OPENINLEFT  PATH="C:\Program Files\Anyprogramdata"
Go NEWTAB=findexisting OPENINRIGHT PATH="I:\Backup"

(The second line was being interpreted as GO NEWTAB=findexisting OPENINRIGHT="I:\Backup" before, so I made the PATH argument explicit. Re-arranging the arguments would also fix it, but it seems nicer to have the things that are the same for both commands on the left and differences afterwards.)

Hi,

WOW! It works now! Many thanks. But... Is it possible to use the same, already open tabs for this? If possible, I would prefer no additional tabs were created. Please, consider that which I said above my using tabs "Locked (allow folder changes)". Sorry if this is asking too much help from you.

Kind regards.

I think you can just get rid of the NEWTAB=findexisting argument in each of the commands...

Woohoo!.. Guys, you're GREEAAATTT! Removed NEWTAB-findexisting and it works! Thanks so much!

Hi, Leo:

Now I am using Directory Opus 12.18 and the following example alias command is not working on it anymore:

Go OPENINLEFT="C:\Windows\" 
GO OPENINRIGHT="C:\Program Files\"

Could you please tell me why is it or whether there's something wrong/missing here?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I did include the backslash (/) in both paths mentioned above; only they're not showing after saving the post. Don't know why.

Try

Go OPENINLEFT PATH="C:\Windows"
Go OPENINRIGHT PATH="C:\Program Files"

I did include the backslash (/) in both paths mentioned above; only they're not showing after saving the post. Don't know why.

1 Like

Hi, Ixp:

Thanks for your quick reply. Only now I could come back over.

Your suggested command does work indeed, but only when I click the "Run (F5)" button on the Command Editor dialog. Weird... It does NOT work though when I type /win, for example, into the address bar and hit Enter.

By the way, it seems right to say there are two address bars, one of them labeled "Location". Which one I should use for alias commands? In fact, I tried doing this at the two of them, but got the same unsuccessful result.

Any further help will be really appreciated.

Regards.

Please post a screenshot of what you're editing. It sounds like you might be editing a toolbar button instead of a user command.

Don't forget you have to type > to run a command (unless you've changed the key).

Hi, guys:

Thank you all. I did try using ">" and "/", to no avail. Please, see the screenshot bellow showing an example folder alias command I created, but that does not work when typing it into the address bar and hitting Enter:

Anything wrong on it?

Please, note that this does not work even when running Dopus with full administrative rights.

Again, thanks.

You were typing /win before, which would take you to the "win" path alias (assuming one with that name had been created).

Your screenshot shows you're editing a command called "prog". If you want to run that, you should type >prog into the file display. (After pushing the initial >, a command field should appear at the bottom of the file display automatically, unless the keys have been changed.)

Dear God!

You're absolutely right directing me to type the set ">" symbol in a folder pane to have a command line field shown for typing the desired folder command alias! And I see now that - I had forgot about this distinction - this command line field bar is the NOT the same as the address bar field of the folder panes, which, of course, is not supposed to be used for achieving this! As to typing "/win", I was not doing it this time around. Actually I was typing "/prog" indeed, as far as the newly set testing example is concerned.

Sorry for any inconvenience, guys. I really appreciate your support!

Wish you lots of sucess and a very Merry Christmas!

My kind regards and grattitude.