Command line shortcuts?

My folder paths for manufacturer data sheets have grown enormously in quantity
navigating around between different folders is getting very old

i can't change the folder names or structures because they are hard coded into years of parts in different CAD systems

is it possible to make a command line driven shortcut?
i.e., if i type 'molex' it would jump to the path with the molex data sheets,
i wouldn't mind programming one time the paths for these shortcut names and it sure would be quicker than scanning and picking from a list of favorites

i should have described the wish as a command line driven alias for a path

remember 'command plus' from the DOS days ?
ds

Opus has a folder aliases system which lets you do just that. Here's the info:

And if you enable the 'Use Find Field...' option, you can then just type a forward slash char followed by the alias name while the focus is on the file display area, and then hit enter in order to navigate to the aliased folder...

i.e. /molex.

As an added bonus, if you don't have similarly named aliases, Opus will usually auto-complete the alia name for you, so you don't even have to type in the "entire" alias before hitting enter.

This is all very cool Leo and Steve,
wish i knew about this a long time ago as it is truly a power interface!

but i am unclear about the /

in the location box i can type one of the built in aliases without a leading / character
but when i add my own alias
Name: MOLEX
Folder: N:\PDF-MISCDATAFILES\L_M_N\MOLEX
i get an error if i type MOLEX in the location box, but i works it i type
/MOLEX
can you please explain about this, the help does not really say as far as i can tell

also where are these aliases stored ?
thanks
ds

That doesn't work for me. I have to type the / for built-in aliases the same as user-defined ones.

They're in /dopusdata\ConfigFiles\folderaliases.oxc

Leo:

Do you know of some command code to use with the alias feature to open, say, two tabs, each one on a panel (left and right)? Opening more than one tab at a time can be done through "tab groups" (which, usually, are opened on a given same pane), but I want to do this through aliases. For instance, I would like to type in "progd" for opening my "Program Files" folder on the right pane and my Windows drive folder on the left one...

Thanks in advance for your help, if any.

Aliases can only point to one folder each, but...

You can make buttons, hotkeys and user-commands which open multiple folders. You can run user commands by typing > and then their names.

So you could make a user command called "progd" which runs something like: Go "C:\Program Files" DUALPATH C:\Windows and run it by typing >progd

So, essentially, yeah you can do it, so long as you don't mind typing a > instead of a /.

First... that's steJe to you pal... steVe is another guy :slight_smile: - LOL

I'm with Leo... the only way I can think of off the top of my head where typing 'anything' into the "LOCATION" field (other than a full path or without the leading "/" character for an alias - which is different than what I was saying you could do - and again with what I'm about to suggest using the method I suggested and I'll attach a screen cap)... is if the alias name is the same name as the folder, and that folder exists in your default search path or something (mine is my local profile dir). You can see where Opus would 'try' to open a 'directory' based on whatever you type into the location field appear in the field before you clicked abort or whatever on the "Error reading folder" popup message if you typed a totally bogus folder name into the location field...

About your last question... you could certainly do it using buttons, hotkeys, and things like that... but here's one way you could do it using the method I described before (about enabling the option in the first screen cap, and typing stuff while the file display area is in focus - i.e. dynamically calling up the "Find Field" - or called in some forum posts and product notes the "Find as you type / FAYT field"):

First, create a new Opus "User" Command like:

<?xml version="1.0"?> <button backcol="none" display="icon" textcol="none"> <label>open</label> <tip>Take two PATH parameters, one to open in left display, the other to open in right display</tip> <template>LEFT,RIGHT</template> <icon1>#dualdisplay</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>Go &amp;LEFT&amp;</instruction> <instruction>Go OPENINDUAL=vert &amp;RIGHT&amp;</instruction> </function> </button>
Assuming you already have your folder aliases set up... you could then type in the ">" char (which tells the "Find Field" to run an Opus Command) followed by the new Opus "User" command and two folder aliases as arguments: >open /molex /boltz like in the attached screenshot...

Another way would be to set up a hotkey that would run something like:

Go {Rs|Specify path to open in LEFT display}
Go OPENINDUAL=vert {Rs|Specify path to open in RIGHT display}

...which would prompt TWO dialogs... One where you would type in the alias for the LEFT display - then hit , the second where you would type in the alias for the RIGHT display - then hit again... voila. I don't think you could do this method witha 'single' dialog...

Food for thought...

You could actually use another key to trigger the command field by assigning the CLI QUICKCMD command to it, so if you really did want to use / to type a command this would be possible.

Oh neat - when did we get that? I rather like not having to use the ">" char to convert the FAYT to Command mode... thanks much!

in a dual folder display is there a way to make the folder alias go to the 'other' folder tree (i.e. the non active or passive one )
ds

[quote="dsicon"]in a dual folder display is there a way to make the folder alias go to the 'other' folder tree (i.e. the non active or passive one )
ds[/quote]
Hit tab, then type the alias. :slight_smile:

(Not sure if that answers your question since it's really making the other side active before using the alias, but since it's only one extra keypress (plus another tab push if you want to swap back to the original side afterwards) it's hard to imagine how another method could be faster/better.)

[quote="leo"][quote="dsicon"]in a dual folder display is there a way to make the folder alias go to the 'other' folder tree (i.e. the non active or passive one )
ds[/quote]
Hit tab, then type the alias. :slight_smile:

(Not sure if that answers your question since it's really making the other side active before using the alias, but since it's only one extra keypress (plus another tab push if you want to swap back to the original side afterwards) it's hard to imagine how another method could be faster/better.)[/quote]

Yes that is helpful, but i guess the answer is no?
one extra keystroke is not a problem (if i can remember to do it)
i didn't even know about TAB

here is the reasoning
i usually have a folder on the left side which is my current working project folder
i want the alias to jump to data sheet folders on the right without losing my current working folder
but absent a direct way to make that happen with the alias your method should work fine, thanks!
ds

You could make a button which prompts you for the alias using {dlgstring} and then feeds that to the Go OPENINDUAL command, or similar.

Hi,

With the current version of DOpus (10), isn't there a simple way of accessing a pair of tabs (each on a pane) using aliases, just as simple as it is int the case of XYplorer (please, see this post xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 90fea1a9a7 ) ? IHMO, this is a must for dual pane file managers. They guys over at XYPlorer made it quite simple to set up this, by creating a special alias config dialog.

Thanks in advance for your attention.

Regards.

Yes, there are several ways to do that.

How do you want to trigger it? Toolbar/menu, hotkey, typed command or?

Of course you can set up commands that open new tabs on either sides. You can go over the Go TABGROUPSAVE/Go TABGROUPLOAD routine,
or even simpler by making buttons with go "E:\xample" newtab OPENINLeft & go "F:\anotherfolder" newtab OPENINRIGHT

Hi, Guys:

Thanks for your support.

My preferred way of opening pairs of tabs would be using the folder alias system (with the use of " / " ). For example: /anybac (as alias) for opening "c:\program files\Anyprogramdata" and "I:\Backup", with each tab for these example folders being showing on a pane. I don't like using buttons, so as not to clutter the interface. Can such aliases be created directly on the alias tab panel, in the main configuration options dialog?

Regards.

Regards.

Actual aliases can only point to one folder (they can be used anywhere a real path can be used, so it wouldn't make sense for them to point to multiple paths), but you can easily make it so you can type >anybac to open the two tabs you want. Only difference is typing > instead of /.

(It's possible to change the > character to something else if you want, too. e.g. To avoid having to push shift.)

To do that, go to Settings -> Customize and create a new user-defined command as shown below. After doing that, just type >anybac into the file display and your tabs will open.

You could also make the command refer to two path aliases if you wanted to define the paths via Preferences, but that probably makes things more complicated.

Note that you could also create a hotkey instead, for even less typing.

The (edit: incorrect!) command is:

Go NEWTAB=findexisting OPENINLEFT  "C:\Program Files\Anyprogramdata"
GO NEWTAB=findexisting OPENINRIGHT "I:\Backup"

(Edit: See correction in my reply below.)