Completely stuck

I installed DO a couple days ago in trial mode, to decide if I want to purchase a license. This morning, upon starting DO, the interface never appeared. Checking task manager, it's there and active. It's also in the systray. I can right-click the systray icon and choose "open" but the interface still doesn't come up. I attempted to uninstall/reinstall, but the installer gets stuck and does nothing. I attempted to just perform a reinstall (without uninstall since that isn't working) and the installer gets stuck at "stopping help". So, I'm completely stuck here. Can't use it, can't uninstall it, etc. Please tell me what to do here.

Windows 10, DO 12.17 64-bit.

Have you tried rebooting?

Some of that could be the result of running dopus.exe elevated (instead of elevating individual windows or commands from within the program after it is already running). Doing that makes it so that non-elevated processes (the rest of the desktop) can't talk to the elevated dopus.exe to ask it to open windows.

Yes, I've rebooted several times. I will try to launch it elevated.

Okay, I've tried everything by elevating first. No luck. Same issues all around.

No, don't launch it elevated. Launching dopus.exe elevated is what can cause similar problems.

Try killing the dopus.exe and dopusrt.exe processes via Task Manager if needed, then run the installer and it should let you install over the top then.

I always launch it unelevated. It doesn't work. I've killed the processes and launched the installer. The same thing happens.

I only launched elevated above because I thought that's what you were asking me to do.

Okay i was able to over-install on the fifth try after killing the processes. However, the interface still won't appear and I still can't uninstall.

When you right-click the tray icon and choose open, does the main taskbar indicate a window has opened in response to that?

If a window is opening but you can't see it, it's possible it is off-screen for some reason:

• Hover over the main taskbar icon (not the tray icon), then right-click the thumbnail that appears.
  • (If the taskbar is set to show individual windows instead of applications, right-click the button for the window instead of the previous step.)
  • Choose "Move" from the right-click menu
  • Tap one of the arrow keys on the keyboard
  • Move the mouse. The window should snap to where your mouse is and become visible.

If no window is opening at all:

We should be able to use those to work out where things are hung.

If it is hung, it's most likely due to a third party shell extension or something similar which has been injected into our process, which we should be able to see from the dumps.