Context Menu - Create New File Here Doesn't Work

This might be a Windows file explorer thing but in my Directory Opus context menu for all folders and files, I have an option labeled "Create New File Here". When you click the submenu, Word, Excel, Notepad appears. When I choose Word, Microsoft Word opens up but it doesn't create a new file in that Directory Opus folder. It simply opens up a new document for Word. Later, when I have to save and close it, the save dialog window doesn't open up to that folder. It opens up to a random window that was opened up elsewhere.

How can I fix it so that the Create New File Here function actually creates a new document in the folder that I right-clicked.

Thank you for any help!

Does the same thing happen in Explorer?

Just checked. Yep. I don't know what made it suddenly change. I just started changing everything to the formats used in DearOpus.com. Would that have caused it?

If it happens in File Explorer as well then the problem probably won't have been caused by Opus or changes to your Opus config.

I would look at the programs involved instead. Try repairing or reinstalling one of them. Although it is very odd if it's affecting Notepad as well.

It could also be an issue introduced in a recent Windows update, especially if you're running Windows 10 v2004.

I know how to remove Add New File via the Registry. Would it be just simply doing the reverse?

I'm not sure what you mean.

To remove a new Word Documents, you just go to Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and look for the extension. When you find the Word document's extension, docx, you click the extension. You should then see a key that states ShellNew. If you erase this ShellNew, the new Word Document disappears from the right context menu.

Wouldn't just doing the reverse, put the new Word document back onto the right context menu?

It sounds like the "New Word document" option is already there, but just doesn't work properly?

Try repairing your Word installation as Leo suggested.

Tried repairing Word but nothing happens. I don't want to uninstall and install and redo all the millions of settings that Office has. I really hate it.

By the way, if someone has the MSI version of Office 2016, I would really appreciate it. I lost my copy. I'm so stupid. Hate Click2Run....

Since the same thing is happening in File Explorer, it looks like something is wrong with your Windows installation and/or the affected programs (the ones that own the file formats being created).

I'm not sure what, though. It's not something I've ever run into or have heard about.

A larger and more general forum may have someone on it who has run into the same issue and knows what to do. https://superuser.com/ is a good place to search and ask about Windows issues.

2 Likes

Ok, Leo.

Thanks!