Convert pictures multi threading

Hello,

I love how handy it is to convert pictures within DO.

I often need to resize huge pictures (14MB++) I find on all our network shares to make them easier to store and work with. Especially when I find employees holidays pictures taking all our precious disk space... but that's a story for another time.

It doesn't seem this process is able to run in multi threads, unless I'm mistaken.
Could it be possible to add this feature and use all CPUs available ? It would speed up things when we need to convert hundreds of pictures.

Thank you

Same here, need to convert ALOT of photos, on machine with 32-core 64-threads CPU, and Dopus using only one thread. =(

Too bad I didn't receive any answer about this :frowning:
I hope hitman60 interest will help.

Is it something you could consider adding ?

However, converting such huge amounts of big images, IMO requires a specialized software and not DO.

Additionally, if those images are stored on a network share this certainly has some impacts on network transfer speed from server to client and vice versa. Unless you do not have a 10 GbE network I would recommend to perform your conversion on local hardware and move those converted files back to you server.

Converting 100 files with multiple threads would definitely not break down our network... but it would speed up the process.
I'm already doing it with other software... although it would be more convenient to do it directly from DO.

It is pure logic, why doing 1 file at a time when we could do more and reduce wait time ?

Anyone could slow down an entire network if he doesn't know what he does.
No need to convert pictures to bring it down...
We could at least have the choice in advanced options to set it to use more than 1 core if needed.

If we follow your logic, then DO shouldn't be allowed to copy more than 1 file at the same time
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Converting with Dopus, have major advantages, such as it is very simple to filter search results with different columns, and it is paying respect to original folder structure. Other software can be very problematic at such points. What Dopus only missing it is threaded conversion.

1 Like

Parallel image conversion is definitely a good idea. The main thing stopping us from doing it in the short term is that we don't have a good UI for it, in terms of showing progress and, most importantly, handling errors/retries.

It would be possible to do it from a script as the underlying command can be automated.

2 Likes

Download this utility: https://file-converter.org/

It adds an option to convert files by adding a right click menu option and can covert multiple files at the same time. One for each logical core you have.

To change the number of files you can convert at once right click on a convertible file (image, video, ect) and go to File Converter > Configure presets > Application and set "Maximum number of simultaneous conversions".

1 Like

Great tool, btw. Thanks for the tip!

Yes, great freeware but it is quite different that what DO offers.
Thank you for the discovery, I'll be happy to have it when needed.

No need to replace DO as it can do it very well option and UI wise, only downside is it uses only 1 thread.

Compared to DO, it is lacking:
rotate by EXIF metadata
resize to specified size (it does only % scaling)
Add filename suffix (with dimension)

@Leo : you are talking about UI limitation, which I can understand.
Would it be (easily) possible to show something like this ?

thank you

I could image by contacting the author, this could be (easily) implemented.

I use that file conversion tool in conjunction with FastStone image viewer. This software does include all the image functions dopus does and more, all the while improving image viewing on windows.

You can rotate by EXIF metadata (it's on by default actually)
You can resize to a specific pixel size.
You can add a filename suffix (although many batch filename programs can do this as well and I personally prefer to use those when handling names).

Fast Stone image viewer has been around for a long time and it's a must for replacing the default image viewer.