"Copy full file path" with just a middle click

I have a project where I'll often need to get the full file path to a manually selected file (one at a time). I have a keyboard shortcut for this, but I'm thinking about something even simpler, like a middle mouse click. Currently, in DOpus, a middle-click lets me select multiple files, i.e. it doesn't de-select a file with each click. Questions:

1. Does this default multi-file-select with a middle-click come from DOpus or Win?
  2. If I assign the middle-click to "copy the full file path" will I run into any issues? I only use DOpus, never Win's File Explorer
  3. How would I assign "copy the full file path" to a middle mouse click in DOpus? Under Customize / Keys I only have keyboard shortcuts, not mouse clicks.

Thanks.

It's something Opus does.

First, turn on:

• Preferences / File Displays / Mouse /
    Single middle click to trigger middle double-click events on background and files

Then go to Settings > File Types > All Folders and change the middle double-click event to run Clipboard COPYNAMES

(can give more arguments to change how it changes the path, e.g. to get the UNC path instead of a mapped drive letter for network drives).

I think that should be all you need, but haven't had a chance to double-check. Let us know if you run into any problems.

It won't affect any programs other than Opus.

1 Like

Thanks, it works. There's no chance I would've figured it out by myself. In your post you say "Settings > File Types > All Folders", but I did it under "Settings > File Types > All Files", as I only need paths to files. I assume it's OK? From what I see, we've now "fused" a middle click and a middle double-click. Is there a way to differentiate the two, e.g. a single middle click = full file path, a double middle-click = filename only, no path? I can differentiate a middle click with a modifier key (e.g. middle click = full path, Ctrl + middle-click = filename only, no path), but I'm trying to use the mouse only :slight_smile:

All Files is correct if you want it to work on (only) files.

You could all use All Files And Folders to make it work on both.

There's no way to have separate single- and double-click events for the middle button, at least not built-in currently. (Could probably be done via something like AutoHotkey.)

I often have a spare mouse button bound to the Shift key for things like this (as well as shift-clicking links, range-selection of files, etc.)