Count files in folder structure

Hello everyone.

Given a top level folder is it possible to build some kind of report showing the entire sub folder structure and a count (not listing) of the number of files in each?

Directory Opus Pro 11.18 Build 5920 x64

Yes, use the Total File Count column.

I should have known it would be as simple as that! Thank you leo, that's just saved me several hours work :slight_smile:

I realise this an old post but I would like to know if it is possible to edit the status bar to show a total for those counts?
I have tried editing but cannot find a code in the pull down list that totals all the counts in the 'Total File Count' column nor the 'Total Folder Count' column. I have also searched the resource centre to no avail.
Could someone please tell me how to do this (if it can be done) and whether I have missed something obvious?

If you switch into Flat View mode, the counts will show the total number of files/folders.

There isn't a way to do it without using Flat View (or, similarly, generating Find Results for everything below a folder).

(On the other hand, the size -- but not count -- values in the status bar will include folder sizes if they have been calculated.)

Thank you Leo. I had not previously seen a use for flat view. Now I have a reason to use it.

PS How did you get time to respond so quickly on Father's Day?!?

I've got a related question to add to this one - is there a similar column that counts total files just in the top folder, and ignores files in subfolders?

Thank you :slight_smile:

Yes, instead of the Total File Count column use the File Count column.

Brilliant :smiley: Thank you @Jon

A similar question. If the file is a .zip or a .rar file, I want to see the file count (root level) or total file count (all files including sub folders) for the zip or rar file.

Is it possible ?

Those columns work on (and in) archives, so just turn on the column you want in the folder with the archive(s).

(Unless the archive has its folder listing encrypted. I think those are skipped, else you'd get endless password prompts.)

For Rar, 7z and anything that isn't Zip, you can also right-click the file display background when inside the root of an archive, and choose Properties.

If WinRAR is installed, it also adds something similar to the right-click Properties dialog on .RAR files (from the parent folder, not inside the archive itself), but not other archive types:

1 Like

Yes. It worked for the zip files once I set the preferences to make Directory Opus the preferred file handler for zip files.

Until now, I had WinRar as preferred file handler and hence it may not have worked.

Is there any way other than right clicking and selecting Open With WinRar from context menu so that Directory Opus still shows the file count and total file count in zip files but when I double click the zip file, it still opens in WinRar.

On another note, is there a quick option to disable counting files in zip and rar files temporarily for a particular lister. (e.g. If I am looking to see actual physical files on my C: drive, I do not want to count files inside zip as part of files residing in C: or one of its sub folders).

The default file handler setting should not make any difference to whether the file count columns work in archives.

1 Like