Crash changing folders while using inline rename with filter bar

I have moved all my files to Google Drive and I use Google Drive File Stream to access my files within Windows. Directory Opus works mostly fine with that setup (file movement notification is not reliable but that's nothing that F5 can't fix).

I am able to crash Directory Opus systematically however (whereas Windows' File Explorer does not crash) with the following combination:

1. Initiate renaming of a file or folder (say, F2).
  2. Then, leaving this in rename mode, click on a folder name in the directory tree.

That produces a crash every time. I have to think of exiting the rename mode for the pre-selected file or folder before I click elsewhere in the directory tree.

Benoît

Were any Crash dumps generated for the crashes?

Leo, thanks for your reply.

I would gladly send you crash dumps but -- and I am embarrassed about that -- I am not able to reproduce the behaviour today... Maybe there has been an update in Drive File Stream that I don't know about. I'll keep you posted.

Benoît

Dumps from earlier may still exist.

Here is what I have.dopus-dmp.zip (61.0 KB)

Many thanks!

We've fixed that for the next update.

It was not related to Google Drive File Stream and could happen with any folder: If the filter bar was in use and set to clear when changing folders, and you then changed folders while inline-renaming a file. [I've updated the thread title.]

Leo,

here is the dump of another error encountered this morning. I don't know if this is related to the earlier problem.

Benoîtdopus.20180829.095621.zip (27.4 KB)

That crash looks unrelated, but also unrelated to our code.

It appears to be a message box which Windows displays via its newer "Direct UI" component, which is crashing:

Nothing on that thread is our code.

I've seen crashes related to the Direct UI component a couple of times before. One was triggered by the password prompt for network shares appearing. (The component would then unload its DLL while it still had code pointing to it, which caused a later crash. We fixed that by keeping the DLL loaded ourselves. It also affected Total Commander, which added a similar workaround, so it wasn't just us.)

The same style of "Direct UI" message box also appears sometimes for BitLocker operations. It may also be used for the Open With dialogs in Windows 10. Not sure what else uses it.

It seems this new component of Windows 10 is not particularly well written, so I don't think it is our bug. Hopefully Microsoft will improve their code.

Thank you for your response. I will pay more attention next time.

Benoît