Crashing all the time since upgrading to ver 9.1.1.5.3222.x8

ever since upgrading to ver 9.1.1.5.3222.x86 i am crashing all the time

i get a windows message (i think it is windows) that the program has caused errors and must be shut down
i get this when right clicking on a group of files to use winzip
any ideas?

Read the FAQs - there's one related to crashes caused by context menu items.

is this the one you recommend ?
Crash, exit or high CPU when right-clicking certain files

are there known issues with winzip in this regard?
everything was quite stable before 9.1.1.5 and no new software installed

the debug process looks quite involved!

thanks for any help

The debug process is quite involved because tracking the issue is quite involved.

There are no known issues with WinZip afaik - it's more likely something else in your context menus which shows up when right clicking on a zip file. There's really no alternative than to follow the debug process.

[quote="steve"]The debug process is quite involved because tracking the issue is quite involved.

There are no known issues with WinZip afaik - it's more likely something else in your context menus which shows up when right clicking on a zip file. There's really no alternative than to follow the debug process.[/quote]

good news
I got ShexView, disabled just about everything non MS except for ultraedit and winzip and DOpus has been stable since!

the process was very easy compared to the debug method listed in the FAQs

my hunch is that it was a bunch of Adobe PDF shell extensions, but there were others also removed, snag-it. explorer-plus and maybe more, but
whatever is gone now i do not miss

question:
anybody know how Shexview works when it disables a CLSID, i.e. i thought that one deleted reg keys, so if Shexview can restore disabled ones is there some native MS mechanism for doing that or do they simply stash them somewhere ?
thanks for your help
ds

If you have time then it would be really useful if you could work out which extension was causing the problem (e.g. turn a few back on at a time until the problem comes back and you can identify which one was to blame).

That way we can tell other people with the same problem what to look for, and maybe GPSoftware can work out why that extension isn't working in Opus and either make Opus ignore it automatically or work around the problem.

A few at a time certainly works, but a quicker way to troubleshoot this sort of thing is to turn on half of the extensions.

If DOpus still works, turn on half of those left unchecked first time around.

If it doesn't work, turn off half of those you just turned on.

Keep going in this way until you home in on the culprit, assuming, that is, there is just one rogue extension.

If you have a lot of things to check this is usually quicker than the usual few at a time approach.

I am afraid I have forgotten where I picked up this useful tip, so cannot provide due credit.

[quote="leo"]If you have time then it would be really useful if you could work out which extension was causing the problem (e.g. turn a few back on at a time until the problem comes back and you can identify which one was to blame).

That way we can tell other people with the same problem what to look for, and maybe GPSoftware can work out why that extension isn't working in Opus and either make Opus ignore it automatically or work around the problem.[/quote]

i will try to get to this this weekend and report
ds