Crashing in 34 Seconds

Suddenly, DOPUS crashes exactly 34 seconds after launching it. No warning; it just disappears. It started this morning. (I hadn't used it for several weeks. Perhaps it has a bad attitude. Behavior therapy may be needed.)

I have been on version 12.24. So I then updated to 12.25 and the same problem occurs.

DOPUS has worked perfectly for me for three years. Operating system is Windows 10. I have the Dear Opus Interface overlaid on top of it, which I have used since the beginning.

Any suggestions as to why the crashing? Thanks!

Please link your account and send us the crash logs and we'll have a look:

Crashes, especially ones that start happening out of the blue, are often caused by third party shell extensions. We can usually tell you which one from the crash logs, but these guides may also help:

I just linked the account. I'll send the crash log, but...

The only crash log is dated September 22, 2021. There are no logs from today.

You'll need to use the other two guides in that case.

Focus on whether particular files or folders trigger the issue, as that'll usually indicate a type of file, and in turn the software and shell extensions that might be involved.

The problem occurs when I start DO, before I click on any files or folders. I just changed the default folders it opens on, but the problem remains.

I'll look through the guides.

The log has been emailed.

Occasionally over the years, I've had some glitches with DO, which I think were caused by settings I incorrectly set in the Dear Opus overlay. I'm going to uninstall DO and reinstall it from scratch.

So Leo, let's cancel this service ticket. Thanks for your help!

Rob

The crash log indicates a problem caused by PhotoMetadataHandler.dll (part of Windows) when it was asked to obtain data about a file.

If you want to check if that's causing the current instability:

• Get and run ShellExView (64-bit)
  • Scroll right in it until you see the Filename column
  • Sort by Filename, then scroll down to find & select the three items shown below
  • Right-click and disable them
  • Reboot.

Do the same to enable them again, if it doesn't solve the problem.