Custom lister for program shortcuts; hiding toolbars

I have a late model tablet computer (Vista Business, DOpus 9.1.1.7.3307 x86) with a pretty small screen. My “launch” shortcuts are scattered over the desktop, in the “Quick Launch” section of the taskbar, and on the Start Menu. I’d like them all in one place.

It seems to me a DOpus Lister might work very well. It would be tied to one folder which contained the desired shortcuts, which could be fired either by mouse click or typed search. It would display only a single file panel, no tree. I would want the shortcut to the lister itself to sit in the Quick Launch area, where I could run it either by mouse click or Windows hotkey.

I’ve read the manual about folder options, lister styles, and saving lister layouts. And I’ve read the post entitled “Open DOpus with a nominated layout” started 14 Nov 2004, which is helpful about starting a lister with a specific layout.

While I think I get most of this, I don’t quite understand the interaction between these capabilities---folder options, styles and layouts. What should you use for what purpose? If you design a lister and save it as a named layout, does that also save styles and folder options? When you save a lister layout, what specific features get saved?

Specific issue: Because my screen is small, I want to maximize the space for shortcuts. So I don’t want any DOpus toolbars showing, other than the menu bar. I have laid out such a lister, and then saved it as a named layout. But when I reload it (by right-clicking on the System Tray icon and selecting the name) it loads with the undesired toolbars.

Help will be much appreciated.

M.

PS. If anyone knows of a good commercial or shareware program that does this, I’d be interested in that also. But, truly, I think DOpus could do the job elegantly.

Unfortunately, (local) toolbars are not saved as part of Layouts or Styles or anything else.

But did you know you can create Floating toolbars with DOpus?

Floating Toolbars can be moved to any position on the Desktop. This allows them to be docked with the top, bottom or sides of the Desktop when the Toolbar is moved to the edge of the display. When docked, they behave much the same as the standard Windows Taskbar. You could create Menu's to organize your shortcuts ...

Move all your "launch" shortcuts to one folder and create a FOLDERCONTENT-Button.

Take a look at Powerpro. It can create autohiding toolbars. It is an extremely powerful program that will replace many separate utilities that you may already be using. Freeware.

http://powerpro.webeddie.com/
and then:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/power-pro/

Note that Floating DOpus Toolbars can also Auto-Hide:

Thank you all for the tips.

If I understand this right, I can load DOpus automatically at startup. Create a floating toolbar which is always present, but autohides. Put a button on it which generates the lister which shows the contents of my "quick launch" folder. Through the button commands, I can control the appearance of the lister completely. So when I want to use it, I just wave my mouse at the hidden toolbar and click the button. Right?

Can I fire the button with a global "control-alt" hotkey, so I don't have to access the toolbar with the mouse?

I've been using DOpus for several years, but I see I have just scratched the surface of its capabilities.

You can do all of that, except if you want to assign hotkeys to the buttons/shortcuts then you would need to create each one individually by dropping the shortcuts you want on the toolbar while in Customize mode.

The Go FOLDERCONTENT command (see here and here) can be used to automatically generate buttons for the files/shortcuts in one or more folders but there is no way to assign hotkeys to the individual buttons that it creates.