Customizing tooltip preview

I like how DO shows the preview in the tooltip when you hover over an image file. But how do I change the size and delay of the popup ?

I know that the tooltip preview size is dependant on the thumbnail size, but I have set my thumbnails small and want my tooltip preview to be bigger. How do I do that ?

I'm not sure where the tooltip delay time comes from. Maybe Jon can tell us.

I don't think there is any way to have different sized thumbnails in tooltips and thumbnails mode but it seems like a fair thing to ask for. If the {thumbnail} code could take a width and height that would do it.

Sorry to bring up an old thread.

Has this been implemented? I didn't find anything in the manual.

If not, I would like to give this idea my +1. I would love to be able to have my thumbnails (for the lister) set to a default starting point of 128 but have my hover infotip thumbnails always set to a specific size (like 256 or 512).

Bumping for this idea.

I discovered a dozen or so programs that can do it, but they only work for windows explorer.(Such as WinRefine)

My idea is exactly as ktbcrash's. I want to keep my default thumbnail size, but have the infotip preview to be much larger in size.

As i read this, i think this makes perfect sense!

I often find myself increasing thumbnail size to see more details in some images (e.g. to quickly find a specific img within many similar ones).
If the tooltip preview size is customizable, i think i would keep overall thumbnail size rather low, and better start hovering my mouse over those imgs, which i need to inspect deeper.
So increasing thumbnail-size for that matter is actually not neccessary for all of the image files, it is probably more heavy on cpu, memory, scrollbar, lister space and coordination too.

Note: The easy to adjust thumbnails-size, as implemented right now, is awesome though, but is (at least for me) another use case. I set thumbnail size to huge, whenever I need to view a massive amount of images very quickly, not looking for some specific ones.

Thumbnails will never be that large, though. When I need to check more detail than a thumbnail shows already, I think I would still end up using either the viewer pane or the standalone viewer to see a much larger version of the image.

I just liked the aspect of hovering over an image with a low delay(probably so it's instant) instead of having to click it to show up in the view pane

This would be neat and intuitive feature, much better than clicking certain files, you can just randomly move the mouse. Has this been implemented yet - Instant tooltip thumbnail on mouse hover/over - with customizable thumbnail size?

Here's quick (and bad) mockup how it would look and feel.

Opus has had tooltip thumbnails for years.

I meant:

Instant tooltip thumbnail on mouse hover/over?

As in the video:
1st one - Dopus thumbnail, with ~1 second delay
2nd one - Instant thumbnail - no delay

Is there possibility to have instant thumbnail in Dopus?

That's pretty much how it works already. (That's how the Windows tooltip API works by default. The first tooltip is delayed by a small amount of time which is based on your Windows mouse double-click speed setting; subsequent tooltips appear almost instantly, until you stop triggering tooltips.)

1 Like

Thank you for the tip, just changed the mouse double-click speed to fastest.

Only thing is that the images won't show up instantly, there's small delay when you move cursor on top of image. When I do it again, it will show up immediately, is there a way to cache / index the thumbnails or something like that, so that the image tooltip would be instant?

If thumbnail caching is turned on (Preferences / File Display Modes / Thumbnails) then it should be almost instant if the thumbnail has ever been generated for that file in the past (either via the infotip, or via showing the folder in Thumbnails, Tiles, or Details+Thumbnails modes).

If the thumbnail isn't cached then it might take a moment to generate. Usually not that long, unless it's a huge image or a file format that is slow to generate thumbnails.

1 Like