Default Apps

I am having a problem with default apps, and getting DO to open using the Windows set defaults

If I go to the File Types menu item and look at images, for example, I unable to set the app I want to be the default for opening.

Right-clicking a file and using Open With > Choose Default Program usually works best.

Your profile says you're still using Opus 11. If that's correct, there are also some improvements in more recent versions to better handle some new types of apps/associations which Windows 10 introduced, although I don't know if they will be relevant based on the info so far.

Thanks for the quick response. That's what I have been doing, but the app I want to use (FastStone viewer ) doesn't appear in the available apps, and once you go to the option to find an app on the computer, you lose the option to make it the default.
What's a bit odd is that FastStone is set as default in the normal Windows dialogue in Settings, and if I manually fire up File Explorer then I do get FastStone when I double click. Odd.

A different question. I should probably upgrade, but I use a fairly customised interface that I got from a script in one of the user forums, and which I'd hate to lose. Do you know if I would retain that if I upgraded?

Regards, Dave

If you turn on that option first, then browse for the program, it becomes the new default.

You shouldn't lose any settings, but it's a good idea to make a config backup first, just to be sure. You can use Settings > Backup & Restore to do that.

When you install a new version (e.g. Opus 11 to Opus 12), you'll be switched to the new default toolbars by default (since they have some new commands which weren't in the old version), but you can turn your old toolbars back on in a few clicks if you want to go back to them. More detail on what do to here: Your old toolbars are still there after you upgrade

Font sizes also get reset when installing Opus 12 for the first time (due to the new DPI scaling support).

Other than that, pretty much all settings should be preserved, as long as you install the new version over the top of the old one. (If you uninstall, it wipes the config, but there's no need to uninstall the old version.)

Many thanks!

1 Like