Default folder format problems

I am trying to remove Type and Attr columns from the default folder format, but with no luck.

I have tried removing those columns in the current folder, and then saving that format as default, by using this setting:

• Save format for all folders (make it the default)
    I did not select either of 2 check-boxes (about clearing and replacing) that come with this. Should I?

I went into Manage Folder Formats and edited Default Format > User Default. This also does not do anything for the real default format, it seems.

Whenever I open any folder, which does not have any formats set, and it uses the default - the pop-up on lock at the bottom says:

The current Folder Format comes from:
       Modified by command: Set FORMAT=!default

1. So what !default format is that?
  2. There is no options to reset to default in the Folder > Folder Formats > menu. Where is this !default, that my DOpus uses, then? And how do I change it?
    2019-04-16_14-35-38__dopus

Huh :confused:

You probably do, if you want it to change all existing layouts and folder tab groups, yes.

That's what is recommended in Folder Formats: Quick Guide.

That implies something has modified the format since the window was opened.

Are you hovering over the lock immediately after opening the window? (Without doing anything in the Folder Options dialog or anywhere else first.) If so, do you have any script add-ins installed which are causing that? (There is at least one which runs that command every time a window or tab opens.)

How are you opening the window? (i.e. What are you clicking on to open it?)

Is it the default lister, or a layout?

@Leo thanks for the reply.

I figured it out where the !default comes from. It is an ancient button I have created years and years ago, when I started using DOpus. I use this button constantly to return to the default view, after using some other view to see some details, or some grouping.
The commands in in the button are:

Set FLATVIEW=Off 
Set FORMAT=!default 

When I wrote my last post and described the pop-up, the tab that I was suing was opened with a plus tab, which simply opens the same as last tab, which probably got this format set.

My confusion was and still is - that the format name is !default. But I do not have a format named !default nowhere in the lists in the Folder > Folder Formats > Manage Folder Formats.

In the Default Format section of Manage Folder Formats there is only 1 format, called User Default.

So... I guess, now I know that I myself am setting !default format. :smiley:

• But... I am still really confused, how am I doing this? Where and what is this !default format, if it does not show up in the list of all the formats in the options.
  • How in hell did I created it and how I am still using it? Because it works - it sets the view to List and resets the columns to the default: Name, Size, Type, Modified and Attr.

Still huh :confounded:

From the manual for Set FORMAT=!default:

Applies the default folder format type for the current path in the source file display. For example, if the current path is a network drive, the Network Drives format would be applied.

If you want to reset to the format you would naturally get when entering the current folder, use Set FORMAT=!folder instead:

Finds and applies a folder format by using the same rules as when the folder was initially loaded. This gives you the same folder format as going out of the current directory and back into it again. See the Folders / Folder Formats Preferences page for a description of the rules applied when Opus chooses a folder format for a path.

@Leo Oh, I missed it. Sorry.

I tried searching for !default in manual: No topics found.
And then I probably missed it, when scanning through the pages.

So basically, !default is the correct way to automatically set the default profile, for whatever type of folder you're in, not caring what actual type of folder that is. Very nice and clever, as always DOpus :slight_smile:

Although, now I guess I need to change all the default formats for all the types - I want to remove the Type and Attr from all formats.

From the manual:

Save format for all folders : The format will be saved as the new User Default format, which is used for a folder that doesn’t have a specific folder format saved for it. If you turn on the Clear any saved folder formats option, and folders for which you’ve previously saved a specific format will be reset. And the Replace the folder format… option causes any saved layouts, tabs and styles to also have their formats reset.

As I understand, if I do not want to mess up all of numerous saved formats (favorites/path/etc) I need to change all them by hand, by removing those columns.
There is no magic option, where DOpus checks all the saved folder formats/lister profiles and magically updates them by removes those two columns, if they are present...

Anyway, thank You, for the help.

If you want every folder to look the same, just do everything it says in Folder Formats: Quick Guide and nothing more. Don't run any commands to change the format etc. Just do what it says in the guide.

Thanks, will do.