Details view icons are too small. How to scale them to normal size?

Just installed Opus 13. Most of my preferences carried over, with the excception of details view icon size. Its very small. I tried looking for a setting in preferences and did not find anything related to size/scale.

For comparison, below are Opus 13, Explorer and Everything windows. Opus icons get slightly bigger if reduce the font size to an extremely small size:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Make sure Windows isn’t overriding Opus’s DPI scaling:

Thanks for the help Leo.

I checked those settings and everything was off. I even checked the installer and well that too did not have any compatibility settings on. After uninstalling, downloading the installer to a separate location and almost deciding to restore to a backup I decided to undo some visual tweaks for windows that I had in place in the registry and sure enough that fixed.

I discovered that changing the windows title bar size and its font size effects the details view in File Explorer and the windows tree view icons. I never cared to notice this since I never use explorer, but now Directory Opus 13 is also effected by this registry setting

Below is a small utility called WinAero. It lets you change the title bar size and its font size, its on the left side of the screenshot.

First screenshot, the title bar size and its font size is set to the smallest size possible. File Explorer/Opus windows and their tree panel icons are effected:

Second screenshot, the title bar size and its font size is set back to the default size. File Explorer/Opus windows and their tree panel icons now use their normal sizes:

This is very bad.... on so many levels. This defeats 'the self contained settings' feature of Opus. Many of us who use Opus as a portable application. We cant be expected to change registry settings of the current computer

I use Opus on my Surface Pro a lot. This windows feature to reduce windows title bar sizes was the best remedy I could come up with to save screen real estate. Using Opus on the Surface Pro now is just unbearable.

Please don't become like Explorer forcing things, Opus 12 was doing things perfectly fine with its own self contained settings.

I will have to go back to Opus 12 now. I don't have a choice, I am not rescinding my license, as I still want to use Opus 13. I hope you fix this issue, until then its Opus 12 for me.

One quick way to fix this would be to allow us to hide/turn of title bars, you were asked many times to do this and I was disappointed to see that it was not mentioned in Opus 13.

Well here I am you kindly requested this feature; please let us turn of or hide the title bars, even if just for Listers. It does not need to be a default setting but should be available. That would be ideal for me and many others. This is an important feature for people with small screens.

Opus 12 and 13 both use the standard Windows icon size. I'm not sure why it would be different, but we also can't account for third-party mods to Windows.

If it comes down to a registry setting, we might be able to find a workaround but we need details of what the setting is.

We are not going to hide our titlebars. Then you'd have no (sane) way of moving the windows.

Looks like the change you made affects File Explorer in the same way, anyway. (In the folder tree, the icons are the same size as the ones in Opus. The file display in Explorer must use icons larger than the standard size if the font size is increased enough, but the folder tree in Opus and Explorer have identical icon sizes in your screenshot.)

So I'd say WinAero should be warning you that that change affects icon sizes, not just the titlebar, if that's the case.

Opus 12 and 13 both use the standard Windows icon size. I'm not sure why it would be different, but we also can't account for third-party mods to Windows.
If it comes down to a registry setting, we might be able to find a workaround but we need details of what the setting is.

I will simplify things and remove WinAero from the equation then.

I have provided you two .reg files to reproduce this issue.

The Small titlebars.reg file will make the title bars very small, only the value for CaptionHeight is changed from its default of -330 to -150. You will need to sign out and back in for the changes to apply.

• File explorer folder tree icons are effected, once you sing back in, they should be very small. Explorers details view icons are not effected.
  • Opus 13 folder tree icons are effected, as well as its details view icons. They should also be very small
  • Opus 12 folder tree icons are not effected, neither are its details view icons. (I tested Opus 12/13 separately)

I think the reason why Opus 13 details view icons are effected and not Opus 12 and Explorer are not, is because of the new "Expandable Folders" feature and the controls they use, I think. Either way this should you show you that Opus 12 details view icons does not respect or care about any changes made to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics registry key.

The Default.reg registry file will undo the changes made by Small titlebars.reg.

We are not going to hide our titlebars. Then you'd have no (sane) way of moving the windows.

Of course people those who asked or want such a feature already have a way of moving/resizing a window, its even safe to assume they are already operating other windows and Opus this way.

There are many tools that already allow you to do this and they are not just gimmicks either. Aquasnap is a software sold by NURGO software, AquaSnap is a high quality window manager. I use it every day, its just as reliable to me as Opus. It allows you to move/resize the window under the pointer, so do many the following:

Wanting to not make such a option available in the preferences to those who want it because they might actually enable it, well you might as well not make scripting available then, because of the countless people who end up breaking their Copy of Opus by way of excessive lags etc or disable all third party shell features within opus because it is constantly causing people's listers to lag or crash when they invoke a right click.

I use Opus every day because you guys actually respect user choice, I did not bemoan the new license scheme. I respected GPsoftware's decision and chose to upgrade. I hope you will change your mind and see that this is a valuable feature to some of your customers.

Edit: I had to archive the files. Cant upload .reg files.

Windows.zip (1.3 KB)