Deutsch - German (Germany)

Other menus:

Aufnahme114 Aufnahme115 Aufnahme116 Aufnahme117

Thank you very much for your report about errors in the German translation. I am on my way to correct them if possible. The translation is not always as easy as it seems, e.g. some texts are built with variables, but there is no connection to them and sometimes I have to translate words and explanations without knowing what they mean and where they will appear within the user interface.

1 Like

Really? Can't you open the settings menu of Directory Opus in English language to see where your translation will appear? But anyway, it is a very good translation and there is nothing to criticize. :+1:t2:

You're thinking of it the wrong way around. If you only have the strings to look at (often the case) then you don't know where to look to see where/how they are used.

(When people are unsure how to translate stuff, they can always ask us, of course.)

Many texts are in a string table:

grafik

1 Like

Sure, Leo, I could ask you or Greg, but I didn't want you to think I am dumb :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes I know about the string table from other software. But when you translate a software for many years then you internalize many of these strings and you know where they are located. And so you open the DOpus settings and you can see if it makes sense to translate it this way.

For example I know immediately that "Glyph" and "Glyph hot" are referred to "Colors and Fonts" of the Folder tree or the File Display Border. And to @MarkusN: Congratulations, Pfadanzeigezeichen is a very good translation for glyph :grinning:

BTW Can you edit with this string table the "deutsch.dll" file directly or not? And is this string table downloadable for everybody or only for special people?

It needs a special tool. People can volunteer to translate Opus into new languages but if you have suggestions about an existing language then it's best to make them here (or the H&P forum for the German translation).

Yes I understand. And you need only one person who has this special tool for the specific language because too many cooks spoil the broth. :laughing: I will only make suggestions in this thread.

But you still need translators for Bahasa Indonesia and for Indian languages like hindi/hindustani. And for some Eastern European languages, too. I hope you'll get them soon.

How quickly can you learn Urdu?

Not in 100 years. But you need some guys who can translate it to Urdu or Tamil or I don't know what else. :india:

Nay. It's 2020. Time to ditch non-English software. Like micro-USB connectors and other tech delusions.

You translate the stuff once and then you use just some parts of DO, as any other user.
BTW, this is standard glyph translation for German: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/language/Search?&searchTerm=glyph&langID=354&Source=true&productid=0 (Terminology Collection is official MS dictionary)

Yes, you're right.

Glyph was translated as Symbol into Polish. That makes more sense for German, too. Microsoft is not the highest instance for languages. And even Glyph in English is strange. Why not (bread crumb) arrow? :thinking:

This is a matter of consistency, not correctness.

Said that, lots of translated terminology in Windows is not the best and there are even differences across products, especially from different "divisions" - like Windows vs Azure vs Office vs Dynamics. Also, if collision happens, consistency gets broken, fe "job" and "task" have the same translation in Polish, but on rare occasions they appear together.

One of the main rules here is "do not confuse". The same thing should be named in the same way in Windows and DO. But otoh in case of little used words it is not that important.

Im not sure of i right understand what you mean (i have never realy learn english).
Do You mean, we do not need more translated Software do each language and only use english? realy?

He was making a joke.

@DOped_User: Is this screenshot from the current version?

It looks like something which got fixed in 12.20.3. If it does still happen in the current version, what's your Windows DPI scaling set to?

Aufnahme116

This also looks fine. The %1 codes are placeholders for the folder names when the infotips are displayed, and it's normal to see them (in all languages) in this list:

These are also fine, since it's just showing you the commands for things which don't have any descriptions set:

I have 1920 x 1080 resolution and 100 dpi. It only happens when I switch to German. In English the distances are OK.

I understand. :uk: :hearts: :de:

Many thanks! We'll get that fixed.

1 Like