Device Error 1117?

I was trying to move a batch of 13 files from one external hard drive to another, and the 10th file gave me an error:

"An error occured moving file ... The Request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. (1117)"

I hit retry a bunch of times but i eventually had to skip it. This also happened on the 12th file but strangley it did come across even after the error showed up, and also happened on the 13th file which did not completely move to the other drive, but after i skipped and repeated the move command it did come accross after 2-3 retries.

any ideas what could have gone wrong?

ADDENDUM: I immediately tried just copying it, and it copied just fine. But by selecting move it always stuck at 18% with this error...

That error will be due to a problem in the drive itself, or the hardware drivers, or something else at a low-level, like a real-time antivirus scanner.

It could be due to one of those components not handling unbuffered I/O properly. You can try turning that off by setting Preferences / Miscellaneous / Advanced: copy_nonbufferio_threshold to 0 (zero).