Difference between Preference and Settings File?

What is the difference between Preference (.dpf) and Settings File (.dps)?

I can see that the .dpf file is a text file, the .dps not.

Is there a difference in export & importing (except what I can select to import or export) or copying the preferences file?

Preferences only have what's shown in the Preferences dialog.

Settings contain that and other things like toolbars, etc.

Just use the Import and Export wizard and tick the things you want to export/import and you'll get the right results.

[quote="nudel"]
Just use the Import and Export wizard and tick the things you want to export/import and you'll get the right results.[/quote]

No - I don't ... that's my problem.

I've defined at home to see the columns size (bytes) and creation date, exported the preferences and imported them here in the company - and I can't these 2 columns.

So I really don't understand the system behind that. I also don't use a saved layout.

I just did this:

[ol][li]Added the Size(Bytes) column to the "Custom" folder format and verified that the column appeared in a new lister.[/li]
[li]Used the Import/Export wizard with just Preferences selected.[/li]
[li]Removed the Size(Bytes) column from the "Custom" format and verified that it no longer appeared in new listers.[/li]
[li]Used the Import/Export wizard to import the file I just exported, with just Preferences and, below it, Folder Path Formats selected.[/li][/ol]
Result: The Size(Bytes) column is back when I open new listers.

So it seems to work fine. Are you opening listers in the same way on the other machine? Is a Content Type format being activated there which stops the Custom format being reached? (More details on that kind of thing in the Folder Formats FAQ.)

In Preferences/Folders/Options - "Enable Folder Content Type detection" is disabled.

For the others please see the screen shots (attachement).

I always want to have the columns size (bytes) and creation date/time for all folders, drives, ftp's (if possible). How can I do this?

The last attachement ...

It's all explained in the FAQ:

[Folder Formats: Quick Guide)

Directory Opus has several types of settings which it can export or import. These include:[ul][li] Preferences - All Preferences settings as specified in the Preferences dialog and saved in the Windows Registry.[/li]
[li] File Types - All Opus-specific File Type settings as specified in the File Types dialog and and saved in the Windows Registry.[/li]
[li] Filters - All saved Filter (.flt) files stored in the Directory Opus\Filters folder.[/li]
[li] Images - The Images (.bmp, .gif, .jpg, .png, etc) defined in the current Opus Theme are stored in the Directory Opus\Images folder.[/li]
[li] Sounds - The Sounds (.wav) files defined in the current Opus Theme are stored in the Directory Opus\Sounds folder.[/li]
[li] Toolbars - The Toolbar (.dop) files are stored in the Directory Opus\Buttons folder. There is also an option to export all toolbars (currently open or not).[/li]
[li] *Lister Themes - Saved Opus Lister Themes are stored in the Directory Opus\Themes folder.[/li][/ul]Notice from the list above that Opus Preferences are actually only a small subset of all Opus Settings that can be exported. Exporting Opus Preferences exports just the current Opus registry settings to a Directory Opus Preferences (.dpf) file. The "Open..." and "Save As..." commands in the Preferences menu of the Preferences dialog both use the Preferences (.dpf) file format. These commands import or export Opus Preferences settings to and from the Windows Registry.

The Opus Preferences (.dpf) file format cannot store any other Opus settings file types, so it cannot store all the components of a complete Opus configuration. The Directory Opus Settings (.dps) file format was created so Opus could export all types of Settings (including Preferences) to a single file. A Settings (.dps) file is actually just a Zip archive that stores all Opus Settings file types. The Settings Export and Import dialog (accessible from both the Preferences menu of the Preferences dialog and the default Settings menu) uses the Settings (.dps) file format. Depending on which export options are used, a Settings (.dps) file could include any of the following Opus settings file types, some inside subfolders within the Settings (.dps) file archive:[ul][li] Preferences - prefs.dpf [/li]
[li] File Types - filetypes.dpf [/li]
[li] Filters - Filters\Filter Name.flt[/li]
[li] Images - Images\File Name.ext (.bmp, .gif, .jpg, .png, and a few other supported file types)[/li]
[li] Sounds - Sounds\File Name.wav[/li]
[li] Toolbars - Buttons\Toolbar Name.dop[/li][/ul]In the case of Toolbars, Opus only exports those that are currently open, unless the option to export All Toolbars is used. In the case of Images and Sounds, Opus only exports those that are a part of the currently applied Lister Theme--that is, they are currently defined in Opus Preferences. Currently, there is no option to export all Sounds or Images at once (in use or not). However, Both Sounds and Images can be exported as part of a Theme. So exporting each Opus theme, could collectively result in saving all of these items.

Opus also provides a Lister Themes Import and Export dialog that allows you to save an Lister Themes (.dlt) file, which is actually just a Zip archive that stores several items similar to an Opus Settings file. Depending on which export options are used, a Lister Themes (.dlt) file could include any of the following Opus settings file types, some inside subfolders within the Lister Theme (.dlt) file archive:[ul][li] A subset of the current Opus preferences that govern: images, sounds, font, and color settings.[/li]
[li] The Images defined in the Theme, stored inside Images\File Name.ext (.bmp, .gif, .jpg, .png, and a few other supported file types)[/li]
[li] The Sounds defined in the Theme, stored inside Sounds\File Name.wav[/li]
[li] A Preview.jpg file with a screenshot of the Theme.[/li]
[li] An .xml file that stores:[ul][li] The manifest of what settings were saved inside of the Theme (Colors, Fonts, Images, Sounds)[/li]
[li] The theme Description and Author.[/li]
[li] Visual configuration information for all toolbars that were open when the theme was exported.[/li][/ul]NOTE: Themes do not store the actual Font files, only the settings of which fonts were applied.[/li][/ul]The raw command below will export all Opus settings currently in use along with all toolbars (open or not).

Prefs EXPORTSETTINGS=all,alltoolbars,images,sounds,filters,filetypes,prefs,toolbars To "X:\Path\File Name.dps"

NOTE: Currently, a Theme cannot be exported via a raw command.