Directory Opus and Surface Pro 7

Up front: I do not own a Surface Pro 7 yet.
However, should I buy one, how will Opus work on it?
(Surface Pro 7: 12.3" touchscreen 2-in-1 laptop, Windows 10 Pro x64, Intel i5 or i7, resolution: 2736 x 1824)

Any issues on scrolling? Font sizes?
Will it work with the Surface Mobile Mouse?

Thanks.

I've used Opus on iPad with Microsoft's remote desktop (RDP), and everything worked great and touch-friendly, for example the lists in Opus could be scrolled with finger anywhere (natural scroll) not just via scrollbars etc.

The main reason for this is that Opus tries to use the Windows' common controls wherever possible, so we get features like this "for free" automatically (powered by Windows itself).

I've never tried it on the Surface natively though, so can't guarantee anything myself.

FWIW I've just found an old report that it seems to work nicely on Windows 10 Pro tablets:

There is some special handling in the file display for the way scrolling worked on some Surface (and a handful of other) touchpads. I don't know if the same applies to newer Surface machines.

IMO it's a flaw their hardware/drivers that special code was needed at all. (They do not scroll properly in a lot of software, including parts of Windows itself.) It was a bit ridiculous that we had to add special code for a non-standard scrolling/mousewheel system when we just need normal behavior that their drivers should've emulated via the standard API, especially considering the hardware, drivers and OS/APIs were all made by the same company. But the code is there in Opus now, for when it's needed. I just wouldn't expect devices that need that to be great in all other software, unless they've stopped using that kind of scrolling or have improved their drivers.

That was with touchpads, not touchscreens, so it may well be different on the device you're looking at. The Surface devices seem to be quite different between refreshes.

You're looking at an Intel one but, for anyone else, I would recommend staying away from the ARM Surface "Pro" devices. Windows on ARM is IMO not ready yet. (Can't run 64-bit Intel binaries, only 32-bit; a lot of recent software is 64-bit only. It'll also cause problems with certain features that require binaries to be the same bitness as other software, e.g. shell extensions, some hotkey/automation tools. And the userbase simply isn't there, at least today, to justify many developers buying one of the handful of overpriced machines or spending what can be significant amounts of time adding two more (release + debug) build types to their projects and testing them.)

1 Like

Both, thank you very much indeed. Considering the price of a 16GB i5/i7 of some usd 1400-1500 one might expect all software to run fine, like a 'normal' laptop.
I am checking some other software developers as well to be honest, i.e. whether or not their software will be running without issues on a Surface Pro 7, Intel based.
The usual reaction is that it should run fine, as it is Windows/Intel based.

OTOH, when asked, none of them actually has/own this device ... so it is an assumption based on the technical specifications.
No doubt software like Office or Acrobat will run fine, but when it comes to specific tools... it is crossing your fingers.

Anyway, thanks again!

I owned a Surface Pro 6 and now 7. Everything works (why not?). If you don't need USB-C or new WiFi, take 6. It's not that slower with older i5/i7 and otherwise owns identical hardware, but cheaper.

Edit: If you get a 7, it has one bug: In accu mode it's getting extremely slow when power ist under 20-25% (CPU runs at <1GHz) - then you need to restart the device.

1 Like

Thanks a lot Sasa!

I somehow got the impression there was something odd when scrolling or with fonts. That appeared to have been solved though.
Thanks for the tip about the slow performance at low battery.