Directory Opus synchronize vs MS robocopy

if i have a couple dozen fairly large directories to move across a plan, that if I just use DO copy take a couple of hours per directory would the operation be faster or safer if I used the DO synchronize panel?

Alternatively, figuring out how to add a script to DO to use MS robocopy?

There's usually no speed reason to use RoboCopy. It's more for specific functionality.

If you just want to move everything from one place to another, there's no reason to use The Synchronize tool either.

...with the exception of Network drive to Network drive copy/move operations. But you are right, everything else there is no visible speed difference plus the "Run unattended" queue in DO is worth several times it's weight in gold, especially because of its error reporting and selective retries.

For Robocopy button see here: Multithreaded copying - Help & Support - Directory Opus Resource Centre (dopus.com)

That exception will go away soon as well.

1 Like

This is my Robocopy sync button or menu entry..
The DO sync cannot be run/automated with a simple click like you can with Robocopy.exe / the button. Be aware, both do not sync ADS data, which is a very unfortunate situation (DO comments, ratings e.g. (which are saved to ADS in a lot of cases), possibly don't get into your backup / mirrored data). If anybody knows a solution to this, plz let me know.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<button backcol="none" display="both" label_pos="right" textcol="none">
	<label>Synchronize (Robocopy)</label>
	<tip>Synchronize (Robocopy)</tip>
	<icon1>#syncpane</icon1>
	<function type="batch">
		<instruction>@leavedoswindowopen </instruction>
		<instruction />
		<instruction>Confirm MSG=&quot;Synchronize (mirror to destination) with Robocopy?\n\nfrom:\n{sourcepath$} \n\nto:\n{destpath$} &quot; TITLE=Robocopy.exe</instruction>
		<instruction>Robocopy.exe {sourcepath$} {destpath$} /V /E /NP /R:0 /W:0 /COPYALL /PURGE /DCOPY:T</instruction>
	</function>
</button>

1 Like

Try

@leavedoswindowopen 
@admin 

Robocopy.exe {sourcepath$|noterm} {destpath$|noterm} /V /E /NP /R:0 /W:0 /COPYALL /PURGE /DCOPY:T
1 Like

@lxp
What is different in your commandline?

As far as i know, Robocopy does not care about ADS, regardless of switches (which only handle permissions and datestamps).

I have added @admin and noterm.

Actually, notermdrive might work even better.