Directory Opus via Wine on Linux

Hello,

I am planning to reinstall Windows 7 x64, and have a separate partition for Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon and wanted to know whether Directory Opus runs under Wine.

I've not used Wine before but want to move away from Windows and use solely Linux but until that happens, I was hoping I could use Dopus via Wine to do all my file management normally achieved under Windows 7 Pro.

Has anyone tested it and confirmed if it works or whether there's problems?

As I said, I haven't used Wine before but have some basic experience with Mint 18 and am a experienced Windows user.

Currently running paid for Dopus 10.5.7.0 x64 on Windows 7 x64
Cheers

It is not officially supported under Wine. Some people have said it works (for the things they tested, at least) but we don't develop or test against Wine ourselves so we can only go by what they say.

Keep in mind that Linux normally uses case-sensitive filesystems, while Opus is designed for Windows where they are case-insensitive. (Opus supports case-sensitive folders, but normally only for things like FTP sites.)

Cool, thanks Leo, I'll give it a go and see what happens! Cheers :slight_smile:

Hi bellie,
just stumbled across your post, as I'm thinking of going over to Linux I was wondering weather you got Opus to work under Wine....Thanks.

Hi, I use Dopus under Ubuntu 16.10 and can confirm that it generally works OK, with a weird caveat that when dragging files from the right pane to the left pane, the file list in the left pane does not refresh, hitting F5 to refresh the list shows the file. However, dragging a file from left to right works just fine.

FTP works OK, with a similar caveat if you have the remote pane on the right and drag a file into the left (local) pane it does not refresh. However if you have the remote site in the left and local on the right, it works fine both ways!

This also applies to renaming. Left pane = no refresh after saving, right pane works fine.

Other than that, and apart from some misalignment in the tree view, I get on just fine with DOpus under wine. I would like to see a bit more consideration for us Linux users though.

1 Like

Do you use DO on Ubuntu for handling files on the linux side? Opening pictures and files, editing file metadata etc.?
What about script addins? Do they run? Oh wait, now I see you are using v10 - which might still be still better than most other filemanagers Linux has to offer?! o)

Can you launch Linux programs from DO? I mean opening files in gedit e.g. or some other Linux specific application? I have difficulties understanding how that would work, but if it really does, amazing. DO is a "problem" if you consider to abandon Windows one day. o)

1 Like

I remember using it when I was playing around with Ubuntu. It really works but with some limitations of cours. I have given up on Linux shortly after as I managed to knock it down every time I installed it - like 3 or 4 times. So, unfortunately I don't remember more details on that. Just my 2 cents...

I'm monkeying around with LInux Mint and I try to install Dopus via Wine and it gets to the very end of the install, crashes Cinnamon then my virtual machine never reboots again after that. :frowning:

Fortunately I use snapshots ... but if anyone has any hints or help to add? Would love any insight.

Thanks!

Wow, hmm. DOpus working under Wine means it could work on OSX and Linux...

I'm going to have to try this. I would be such a happy camper. I already have some Wine development to do.

Update: I tried Wine and while it can work, Wine itself has significant limitations.

1 Like