GP SoftwareTwitter
Opus FAQsManualCommandsObjects

Directory Opus won't launch when using RDP

i don’t know what the deal is, but sometimes when i remote into the machine, DO won’t launch, sometimes when i kill the process it will then work, but thats only about 25% of the time. i usually just can’t get it working at all. i tried it on a couple machines to test and all with the same result. not sure whats causing this.

any thoughts?

thanks.

Not sure why that would happen.

I’ve used Opus over remote desktop for years on a mixture of Windows versions and never had that problem.

It’s possible a shell extension or some other 3rd party component is causing the problem. The general slowdown or instability investigation steps may help isolate the cause.

How are you launching Opus, by the way?

well, i have it fully replace explorer, so i generally just click start, computer or one of my other shortcuts like downloads, pictures and so on. when that doesn’t work i try to launch the actually DO program.

[quote=“leo”]Not sure why that would happen.

I’ve used Opus over remote desktop for years on a mixture of Windows versions and never had that problem.

It’s possible a shell extension or some other 3rd party component is causing the problem. The general slowdown or instability investigation steps may help isolate the cause.[/quote]

i’m not having resource or crash issues, it simply doesn’t launch, and i have no plugins

The program not launching may be due to a crash and, either way, the steps apply as much to that as anything else.

You must have plugins and shell extensions; every system does.

ok, it doesn’t happen all the time, but i have now tested on 2 different windows 7 x32 machines after fresh format, and it happens on both. and it’s not that it just won’t launch, there is just a point where it stops responding entirely, now, i don’t get the Not Responding message, as it looks like it isn’t frozen and working fine except that it doesn’t respond to anything. also, if i right click on the icon and try to exit that way, i get a system sound like it is waiting for some confirmation, only there is nothing to confirm, if i kill the 2 exe’s in process viewer it will close obviously, but i try to launch again and nothing, won’t work until i reboot.

If they’re really vanilla machines (other than Opus being installed) then it could be something you’ve configured the remote desktop client to do, e.g. mount a local drive, printer or USB device on the remote machine.

Are they really fresh machines with nothing at all installed except Windows and Opus, though? No anti-virus? No video card drivers? No video codecs? Nothing at all in the Uninstall control panel? etc.?

I get this problem too.

I find that killing rdpclip.exe solves the issue and all the Dopus windows you tried summoning come to the fore.

[quote=“Ward”]I get this problem too.

I find that killing rdpclip.exe solves the issue and all the Dopus windows you tried summoning come to the fore.[/quote]

ha, look at that, totally works. whats the deal with that? weird bug

RDPClip is often the cause of issues, I’ve found. (Not just with Opus.) Although I’ve not heard of it causing this problem before and I haven’t had issues with RDPClip lately. (FWIW, the only combination I use these days is Win7->Win7, which might be a factor.)

If you have any clipboard monitor/history tools I guess they may be related. Or maybe if you have a huge amount of data (or an unusual type of data) in the clipboard when you connect, I suppose.

Internet download manager interferes with opus and can cause it to crash. It monitors the clipboard for downloadable locations and may be the culprit.

[quote=“leo”]RDPClip is often the cause of issues, I’ve found. (Not just with Opus.) Although I’ve not heard of it causing this problem before and I haven’t had issues with RDPClip lately. (FWIW, the only combination I use these days is Win7->Win7, which might be a factor.)

If you have any clipboard monitor/history tools I guess they may be related. Or maybe if you have a huge amount of data (or an unusual type of data) in the clipboard when you connect, I suppose.[/quote]

it is possible it’s a clipboard issue, who knows, i’m usually connection from my macbook pro to a windows desktop/server, i guess that could also be the issue, but it sux LOL

Have you checked for a newer (or alternative) Remote Desktop client for OS X? (Assuming you’re not running Windows on the Macbook.)

i am using the latest that comes with office 2011. i am also running windows on it through bootcamp and parallels, i’m going to keep my eye on it now that i have a sort of work around, enxt time it happens i’m going to check my clipboard

would also like to state that usually i use CORD for mac which manages rdp, but all day today i just used straight up rdp and it didn’t happen

Which version are you using (Windows or OS X RDP) when the problem happens? Or does it happen with both?

that i am uncertain, i use my macbook pro most at work and home, i’ll run some tests to try and recreate the problem and let you know

well, it still happens, i use the latest RDP client on OS X connecting to a windows 7 machine, i’ve installed DO on another windows 7 machine, and it happens there as well. only problem is i cannot figure what is causing it, seems random, but once i kill the rdpclip.exe then it works, in fact, it performs all standing actions

Try disabling remote sound routing in the OS X RDP client. That suggestion worked for a couple of people in one of the (many) threads I found in a Google search for “OS X” rdpclip (where the symptom for most people was rdpclip.exe using 100% CPU on the machines they connected to; is that happening for you it you open task manager?).

TBH, it seems like an issue with the OS X RDP client and/or rdpclip.exe rather than Opus.