Display selected file name in toolbar or window title?

Hello. I've pretty much always used Details view mode, but recently I tried out List view mode, and I'm really linking how much faster I can scroll through a big folder. The only problem is you can't see the whole file name when the name is long. I'd like to be able to click a file and have the full name show up.... anywhere.

Preferably in the window title bar, but a toolbar label or even a button label would work, as long as it always displays the currently selected file name.

1 Like

You can show the selected filename in the Status Bar.

List mode can also be set to auto-size the name column, so you don't get truncated names (and instead get wider columns).

(But please don't use List mode as your main mode; it's terrible. :))

window title bar, toolbar label or button label

I don't think any of these is possible. Have you considered the Status Bar or the Info Tip?

Nothing is impossible, just like the image viewer, the window title bar displays the file name is probably the best choice.

1 Like

The image viewer displays a file, so the file name goes in the titlebar there.

The lister displays a folder, so the folder name goes in the titlebar there.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility to put the selected filename in the lister titlebar, but it would be a bit of a strange place to put it, IMO.

In other words, The lister displays a file, so the file name goes in the titlebar there.

In fact, many long file names are incomplete because of the double-column layout of Opus, but this layout is the biggest advantage of Opus and cannot be changed. There is really no location to display the full name of the file, the tab bar space is too small, only the space of the title bar is sufficient.

1 Like

It would be nice to add special codes to title:

2 Likes

Like the status bar, it is more flexible and powerful.

I like the idea! o)
It sometimes can be really tricky to get the full file name visible (auto-fit columns e.g. o).

item selected -> show item name in the titlebar
no item selected -> show path of current file display (as usual)

Maybe there can be some more title bar codes to do this in all flavors (parsing and configuration like the status bar allows with ifset/notset syntax, expanding on the current, more simple %xx codes used here).

More flexible seems to be a another script hook though, because these %xx codes, they don't mix well whenever scripts set the title.

2 Likes