DO portable

Is there a proper native (released by DO developers) portable version of DO?

Portable means:
-It doesn't touch/store anything in the registry, AppData or any system folder.
-Upgrading to newer versions will preserve settings.
-Auto detect system architecture, and launch 32 or 64 version according to that.

If so then I'm purchasing a license.

Thanks

Yes, USB Export is an optional extra when purchasing.

You will still need to (at least temporarily) install Opus on a HDD normally in order to export or update the portable USB copy. Normally you'd install it normally on your main machine (or home machine) and use that to update your USB stick for use on other machines you might travel to.

All settings are stored on the USB stick, and the registry is not modified (unless you explicitly ask for it to be modified for certain features; e.g. Explorer Replacement can't work without modifying the registry, but there is an option to use it with USB copies).

You have the option of exporting both 32 and 64 bit versions to the same USB stick, and the launcher will run the correct version automatically.

When updating the USB stick, you're given the option of leaving its existing config in-place, or replacing it with the config from the machine you're exporting from.

In case of slow or read-only USB drives, you have the option of using the USB stick as a "dongle", and copying the files themselves to somewhere else. The USB Export copy will still work as long as the USB stick is plugged in, but the files can be copied anywhere (or left on the USB stick, if you wish).

I'm feeling dizzy :S
Why do make something so simple so complicated?!
Most proper portable applications are straight forward, a launcher and 3 folders next to it, 32, 64 and settings folder. Updating that would be simply by downloading latest version.zip, unpack and overwrite, and even better is an app that can do that itself,it's just a simple bat file in that case.
Are you making so complicated to avoid piracy? You know illegal portable copy of DO is all over the Web.

Like this it's a no go for me.

1 Like

That's exactly what you end up with on the USB stick after exporting.

Do you not have a main machine that you want to install Opus on normally? It's unusual to only want a USB copy. From the main install, updating a USB stick just takes a few clicks, via a wizard that handles everything (usually just copying new binaries over the old ones, if doing an update).

What's complicated about it? Click, click, click, you're done.

Installing applications is so 1990s. I use Clean Slate and Deep Freeze on all my machines, except for drivers nothing is installed. All programs I use are portable.

So, lets say I go through this painful process of creating a portable version of DO, can I then copy it back to my HD and it will function as if it was on a USB?

1 Like

If it's that painful you're probably better off trying a different product.

My workplace prohibits both installations and external USB drives. Is there any way for me to run DO completely portably?

If they prohibit both, presumably they prohibit running your own software in general? Or is there another reason they block those things?

Opus either needs to be installed or to have a USB stick present. (It doesn't have to run from the USB stick, but it needs to be able to see it.)

Completely portable software can be used, but USB drives are prohibited due to concerns about malware. My suggestion for a future release is to enable completely portable usage that does not depend on installation or USB. Most other companies that I have seen have been able to do that when they create portable versions. Actually, in general, I find that portable software is often easier to use overall, because it does not require installation, dependence on the registry, and the use of configuration directories that are located elsewhere.

In terms of the security of licensing, I imagine that there are still ways to implement software activation that would protect your company's ability to preserve the integrity of its licensing process, even with portable editions.

Thanks for considering it!

1 Like