DO11: [FR] Toolbar settings and inheritance by buttons

This has come up a time or two in the past and was hoping we'd see a bit of change here in v11. I've always found the relationship of the toolbar level Image Size/State and Label State settings to the individual buttons on the toolbars to be a bit backwards (or at least not as intuitive as it could be)... Particularly when making a new toolbar and building lots of buttons, it's quite irritating to have to edit every new button to change it's Label State to show on the RIGHT (or whatever) instead of on the bottom.

I think it would make much more intuitive sense for buttons to 'inherit' these states from the parent toolbar such that:

Toolbar Label State: instead of on|off|default, would love to see on|off|default|left|right|above|below.

• I would venture to say that many people will usually use the same label state for most buttons on a toolbar. It'd be more efficient and intuitive if I set the label state at the toolbar level to "right" so that every new button I create already has the label set to show on right - perhaps implicitly by leaving the per-button value for label state @ default, and inheriting 'right' from the parent toolbar.

I was going to list out the other variations, but I guess this one example states the case well enough. Same idea behind all the other settings and inheritance from parent toolbar at the button level.

Ideally, if adopted - I would love to see that inheritance cascade down to child buttons further down the rabbit-hole, such as child buttons of Menu buttons and Three-buttons on the toolbar. I.e. when you turn a button that has the label explicitly set to show on the right into a three-button, all is fine, the initial (LMB) child button retains the 'right' label state of the original button. But then when you right click to Insert a New Button under the three-button, even thought the "New Button" text is visibly displayed to the right of the button icon on creation, it's label state is default and it causes the height of the entire toolbar on which the parent button sits to increase as though the parent button was changed to 'default' or 'below'. Even though I "know" this is the case, visually it always takes me a second to remember why it's happening and to go fix it after the fact.

Be easier if there was explicit inheritance from toolbar to child buttons... I think the current on|off|default behavior could remain intact, but that the parent toolbar could be enhanced with the same settings as the individual buttons and push those settings down to any buttons that are left at 'default'.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Some things along these lines are still on our list but didn't make the cut for Opus 11.

Thanks for listening :slight_smile:

[quote="steje"]
I think it would make much more intuitive sense for buttons to 'inherit' these states from the parent toolbar such that:

Toolbar Label State: instead of on|off|default, would love to see on|off|default|left|right|above|below.

Any thoughts from anyone?[/quote]

+1
allow this for all toolbar buttons, whereby presumably Label State is the same as Show Label.

1+
Now that I read that, I remember having very similar feelings about that label vs. toolbar label-state thing. o)