DO11: Option not to back up glob! variables

Could we have the option of not backing up the new glob! variables, while backing up everything else.

My reason is that I work by making configuration changes on my desktop, then backing up that configuration and restoring it onto my notebook. For various reasons I want to have different glob! variables on the two machines (for example, the software on the notebook is not exactly the same as the software on the PC, and there are other small differences between the machines). I want to use the new @ifset: test as a routine switch to identify the two machines in these differences.

Another approach would be to use glob: variables rather than glob!: variables, and run DOpus command sequences to define all my glob: variables every time DOpus starts on either machine (glob: variables are not backed up). Another approach would be to double the number of glob!: variables by twinning each one. But these approaches would be far more complicated than the simple option of choosing not to back up glob! variables.

Rename the backup file extension .ocb to .zip, open and remove the file uservars.oxc in ConfigFiles folder. Restore.

Good one! That will work, and I should have realised that it was available, because some time ago I automated the change of my backup file extension to .zip. I still reckon that DOpus needs a switch, but your suggestion indicates that such a switch could as well be in the "Restore" functions rather than in the "Backup" function.

Or if you sync setting from box to box frequently, (although I haven't tested) maybe you could create your own backup with some dopus commands.

(remember these are being performed on a temp folder)
Copy the /dopusdata folder to a temp location
remove the /dopusdata\ConfigFiles\uservars.oxc
remove the /dopusdata\ProgramState Folder
remove the /dopusdata\Logs Folder
remove the /dopusdata\userdata.omd file
archive to zip
remove temp folder

just mimic the same files/folders as your backups have. And maybe test to make sure dopus will restore it, but it should it's a zip file

Note: there is a FAQ which confirms the details of how to backup your configuration manually: HOW TO: Backup or locate your Opus configuration (Advanced)

Also, about renaming to zip... if you add the .ocb extension to the list of ZIP Extensions on the Preferences / Zip & Other Archives / Zip Files, then Opus can treat the filetype like regular zip files and you don't need to do any rename tricks.

Also, rather than manually copy then delete... maybe even setup a small filter to exclude (a Name NO MATCH filter?) the uservars.oxc file, then you can create your own custom button that does the job in one press.

Thanks — somewhat belatedly — for all this advice. After fiddling about for a bit, I have instead created a user-defined command that resets on my notebook all the global glob!: variables that should differ from those on my PC. Each time after "restoring" my PC's backup file onto my notebook, I run a single button that calls my user-defined command and also performs a couple of other necessary tweaks. So I'm happy, and the new global variables have proven very useful.