Dopus 12 slow startup

Hi, I'm an longtime happy dopus user, but am encountering very slow startup times the last months, up to about 10 seconds. Dopus is setup to start with OS start, as always. Strangest thing is, that this slow starting happens maybe 2/3 out of 10 times. Can't find any logic in it. Once started, dopus is functioning normally.Other programs start at normal speed at those moments. System is also not heavily stressed when this happens.

I already reinstalled, but that did not make any difference. I don't know how to fix this, so any help would be greatly appreciated...

Do you mean that if you close the window and then re-open it, it is slow to do that?

Or it's only slow to open the initial window?

Or only slow during Windows boot?

What settings do you have under Preferences / Launching Opus / Startup?

No, this behavior only occurs (if it does), when booting the OS. This can happen right away after booting, or 30m later, that doesn't make a difference. Re-opening is always fast as usual.

Preferences / Launching Opus / Startup:

Try turning of the first checkbox ("Launch Directory Opus automatically on system start"), then reboot and wait a minute, then open Opus manually.

If that opens faster than before, there's probably just a lot going on during boot, or a needed dependency is taking a while to start up.

But if that is also similarly slow, then there are some things you can look at to speed things up. Make sure you have no toolbar/menu buttons, favorites, shortcuts (in folders which open initially), folder tabs etc. which point to network drives which are not always available. Those can cause long delays, even after Windows has finished booting and connecting to the network, since Windows waits up to 30 seconds before failing any attempt to access them.

Having a huge number of collections or collections with a huge number of items can also cause delays. Clean out any collections that aren't still needed.

Antivirus can also delay things, not just launching Opus itself but obtaining icons from other exe/dll files if you have them on your toolbars.

Scripts installed into Opus could also delay startup.

I've already seen or knew most of your tips. Sadly, they don't work for me:

Try turning of the first checkbox ("Launch Directory Opus automatically on system start"), then reboot and wait a minute, then open Opus manually.
If that opens faster than before, there's probably just a lot going on during boot, or a needed dependency is taking a while to start up.

First of all, as I said this does not only happen right after booting, same behavior appears long after booting... But if this would only happen at booting, then it would also be really strange that it goes well for most of the time.

But if that is also similarly slow, then there are some things you can look at to speed things up. Make sure you have no toolbar/menu buttons, favorites, shortcuts (in folders which open initially), folder tabs etc. which point to network drives which are not always available. Those can cause long delays, even after Windows has finished booting and connecting to the network, since Windows waits up to 30 seconds before failing any attempt to access them.

Having a huge number of collections or collections with a huge number of items can also cause delays. Clean out any collections that aren't still needed.

Antivirus can also delay things, not just launching Opus itself but obtaining icons from other exe/dll files if you have them on your toolbars.

Lots of good points here, but same answer: the situation is all the time the same, so if (one or more of) those things were applicable, why don't they cause problems all the time?

Scripts installed into Opus could also delay startup.

I don not use any scripts. In fact, I did change almost nothing since last install. I will remove my favorites though, see if that changes anything. But still, if so, why then not all the time?

I do wonder if there's something wrong in my OS or hardware, because of the random nature of these issues...

Caching of results, most likely, if it isn't only happening just after boot. e.g. Windows will cache the fact a network resource is unavailable, but will try again in full after some amount of time. Antivirus may cache scan results, but re-scan things after a signature update.

Ok. Have to look into that. Quite difficult to find out what could be it, though. Reproducing and testing things is problematic anyway, because of the randomness of the events... Keep wondering why I did never had these issues on my old system(s) though, but maybe it's just some windows update that changed things...

Windows 10? Turn off Superfetch (Sysmain). Google it, fixed it for me.

Thanks, I'll give it a try...