Dopus 13 Context Menu vs Explorer

Hello, I am trying to harmonise the Dopus 13 and Windows 11 File Explorer "New" context menu items and just cannot see how to get them the same, for instance Dopus always add the "Zip Compressed File" option and Explorer does not. Dopus puts the Shortcut entry below the separator and File Explorer puts it above. It is a small matter but would really like to know how this works and to adjust them.

Screenshots attached:

Dopus 13:

File Explorer (Windows 11 23H2):

The only way you can customize the New sub-menu is to completely remove the auto-generated menu and replace it with your own menu items for creating new types (which can be in any order you want, and include or exclude any types you want).

I usually leave the New sub-menu alone, and add one or two items next to it, at the top level, for the types I create most often. I then almost never actually open the sub-menu as it's rarely needed.

Ok, understood, but how does it auto generate the menu? I ask because the entries are different than the same menu in File Explorer and specifically Dopus adds in the Zip Compressed File option which I cannot see in File Explorer, can I influence this by editing the Registry?

Best regards, Geoff.

It's built by looking through the file types in the registry. The ability to add to the New menu is part of file types in Windows.

Explorer sorts its menu by the registry key name, I think, which is stupid as it's not a detail you can actually see in the menu. It makes no sense to sort by that, and is probably something they did by accident rather than intent. Opus sorts the menu by the labels of the items in it.

Explorer missing the Zip item probably means the Zip type in the registry is messed up in some way that affects Explorer but not Opus. (Sometimes it's the other way around, in other places.)

1 Like

I have found the registry key that determines the File Explorer sort order so if you look at my screenshots the order is alphabetic on both. Thanks for the quick reply! Will look into it further….

I've always assumed the bad sorting in File Explorer (shown below on my system) is why Microsoft still haven't noticed or fixed the fact that MS Access adds two different items to the New menu with identical names. The only way to tell them apart is the very slightly different icons. I've lost track of how long they've left it like this.

But maybe they have noticed and just don't care, like with so many things Microsoft. :smiley:

I've made a small change for 13.4.4 to move the separator at the top so it's under Shortcut instead of between Folder and Shortcut (so Opus will be like File Explorer in that respect). Makes sense to separate the list there, as the sorting is different above and below that line.

Brilliant! Indeed Microsoft do stupid things, a quick Regedit sorts out the names and duplicates but why they can’t sort out stuff like that who knows! Just too big in reality I guess.