Dopus 13 not running after install

After installing/upgrading from 12, 13 is not running. It briefly loads dopus.exe and dopusrt.exe but these both close after a couple of seconds. There is nothing in Event Viewer to suggest a crash. I'm fully licensed and running on Win 11. Short of reinstalling Windows, is there any reason this should happen?

I've tried deleting all registry entries and ensured I deleted all GPSoftware folders. 12 worked just fine.

1 Like

If you didn't reboot after installing the new version, please try that.

If that doesn't help, there's a way to make Opus report how far it has got during startup, which might tell us where it's going wrong.

This requires a registry change.

Easy method:

Manual method:

• If you prefer to use RegEdit manually:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GPSoftware\Directory Opus
    StartupProgress (DWORD) = 1.
    (Then later delete it to turn it off again.)

You'll also need to download Microsoft DebugView. This doesn't need installing; just unzip it somewhere and double-click it. Once done, simply delete it.

With DebugView running, launch Opus.

DebugView should display some lines similar to dopus: Startup progress: 31 (plus some timestamps and other information next to it).

(DebugView may default to very narrow columns. If everything is truncated they just need to be dragged wider. Other programs may also send output to DebugView, so not everything it displays will necessarily come from Opus.)

If there's nothing in DebugView from Opus, make sure the registry value is set. If it is, it's possible Opus is being blocked from starting at all, and control never reaches our code. That would usually be due to antivirus or similar. It could also be other types of conflicts, but that's what I'd check first.

1 Like

Thanks for the very quick response - the zip file is set to private, but I'll add the reg entries manually and let you know the outcome.

Edit: The Directory Opus key has a DWORD DirtyShutdownIndicator=1 - deleting this and running the exe creates the same key, if this helps.

Sorry about that. The zip was pointing to the old forum. I couldn't find it in our backup for some reason, but I've just made a new version of it and put it in the post above.

Dbgview is showing nothing from Dopus at all. I have no antivirus or similar running (I usually use Malwarebytes which is completely stopped. I even ran it in Safe mode and it still immediately closes (I'm sure 12 didn't do that).

It's very odd behaviour - 12 was literally running immediately before I installed 13. I'm having withdrawal symptoms... :smiley:

Maybe a Process Monitor log will reveal something.

Make sure it's not filtering out other processes (other than the default ones, like it filters out itself), as other activity when Opus is being launched may be important.

It might just be a system issue. On a whim I did a chkdsk and I'm now sitting at a Fixing C: Stage 4...eta over 2 hours. On an m.2. Yeah... I'm going to bed and I hope I wake to a HAPPY PC... I'll let you know if that was the issue...

1 Like

Well, it seems beta 13.1.2 fixed this issue - it loaded immediately. Do you still want the process logs for 13.1, I literally just did that 10 seconds before I got the beta email?

1 Like

No need if it’s working now.