DOpus 9 on XP (or Vista...?)

This is my default lister under Windows XP (dutch)...

Nice colors!

What is the window with the icons from Firefox, IE, ...?

The window with the icons from Firefox, IE, etc. is the program LaunchKaos. LaunchKaos is a fully skin-able launcher that you can use to organize and
access your favorite programs, websites, documents etc.

I created the Vista skin (and some XP Luna skins). Unfortunately, LaunchKaos is no longer available, and is not being supported any longer...

But you can still download a trial version here: http://tracker.5star-network.com/download.mis?id=20135&siteId=1

[quote="Christiaan"]The window with the icons from Firefox, IE, etc. is the program LaunchKaos. LaunchKaos is a fully skin-able launcher that you can use to organize and
access your favorite programs, websites, documents etc.

I created the Vista skin (and some XP Luna skins). Unfortunately, LaunchKaos is no longer available, and is not being supported any longer... [/quote]

What does LaunchKaos do that you cannot do with a floating Opus toolbar or 2?

• LaunchKaos uses Sections (Tabs) to categorize shortcuts.

• You can drag files directly onto LaunchKaos to create shortcuts; also when LaunchKaos is hidden: it unhides automatically when you drag files onto it.

• You can drag and drop files onto buttons to launch the program with those documents; also when LaunchKaos is hidden: it unhides automatically when you drag and drop files onto it.

Floating Opus toolbars don't unhide automatically when you drop files and I really like the LaunchKaos Sections.

You could sort-of do that with buttons which opened/closed different toolbars but it wouldn't look as nice or be anywhere near as convenient as it is in LaunchKaos (judging by the screenshot), especially for a floating toolbar like that.

You can do that in Opus if you enter Customize mode first. Very convenient way to create buttons for programs. I like that you can't accidentally do it when out of Customize mode but I guess that's a matter of taste.

You can do that in Opus. Just make sure that {f} is part of the button and it will insert the dropped file's name into the command before running the program. (I think this is done by default when you drop an exe on a toolbar.) (There's also a flag you can add which stops the button from running against selected files if you only want it to take filenames from drag & drop. And, of course, if you click it without any files involved it will run the program on its own, unless you change the {f} into the flag which says a file is needed rather than wanted.)

Maybe they should, though. Worth a feature request!

in a normal lister, there is a colored bar under the tabs and above the column headings (if the files are displayed in details mode). But I don't see that colored bar here. How do you disable it?

In Opus9, uncheck Preferences -> Listers -> File Display Border -> Show file display border in single display mode.

Note that, as implied, this option affects single file display listers only. As far as I know, it's not possible to turn off the file display border in dual file display listers.

Also note, if you don't already know, that the the file display border is, by default, green for a source lister (file display) and orange for a destination lister (file display). I leave the border enabled in single display listers as an immediate and obvious visual flag if I activate a destination lister accidentally.

Thanks Bob.

Christian... what font are you using?

Christiaan, do you share the Vista skin somewhere like DeviantArt or some place? Looks good...

1 Like

No, because unfortunately LaunchKaos is no longer available... But if you like, I could attach it to a private message?

1 Like

[quote="nate_dawg"]Thanks Bob.

Christian... what font are you using?[/quote]

Font = Segoe UI

Yes please do. I know its 17 years later, but I like old software.
And LaunchKoas can be downloaded from here
Still works in Windows 11, in 2024 btw, even if the interface is dated.