DOpus Development Expectations From a Longtime User

With the v13 release comes a licensing model change and faster development "hope." With developer hope comes user expectations. First, some perspective:

The DOpus team - Greg, Jon and Leo - has a well-documented development track record to help gauge timing expectations:

DOpus Development History (Windows Only)

Version Release Date Minor Upgrades Days Between Upgrades Beta Releases Days Between Betas Notes
06 6/18/2001 0 0 -- --
08 10/4/2004 2 57 -- --
09 4/28/2007 11 37 -- --
10 4/30/2011 13 71 47 17
11 12/18/2013 18 50 66 12
12 8/16/2016 33 79 118 18
13 1/27/2024 -- -- -- -- 25 public betas prior to official release purposely not included in count
Avg* 15.4 58.8 77 15.5

*v8 through v12

That said, users have historically lacked three key things in the DOpus development lifecycle:

1. Development Roadmap Visibility: There are likely competitive implications with releasing a detailed roadmap. As a user, even a high-level roadmap would help me understand where DOpus is headed, drive user discussion and interest, and fuel user input to make DOpus even better.
2. Predictable Release Cycle: The track history table above highlights the development team's dedication, but lacks consistency. One would hope for a more predictable, Agile approach in which users can expect a new release every X days. At least one competitor releases on a weekly cycle. That may or may not be the best cadence for DOpus, but a standard, predictable schedule would prove helpful to DOpus' continued success and growth.
3. Dedicated Feature Request Mechanism: In my experience, DOpus feature requests have typically come through a random forum post via a question regarding DOpus capabilities. From a user standpoint, this is less than optimal and leaves us wondering what's on the list, how it's prioritized, and if/when to expect it (see item 1). A dedicated feature request mechanism, even if it were simply a forum category, along with a user voting mechanism and developer feedback, would be well-received in my estimation.

These are one longtime user's expectations going forward. I would be very interested to hear from other users, many of whom are smarter, more engaged, and longer-tenured than I, who have earned my respect - and hopefully the development team's respect, as well - over the years.

EDIT: Corrected to reflect Nobmen input. Note update and beta counts from New Releases - Directory Opus Resource Centre.

3 Likes

on my part as additional info:
This list, very good summary, does not contain all data from version 6 to version 9.
There were betas for these versions that were not public.

There were many updates for version 6, so the comment is not correct!
The last one was 6.2.5.15.
Due to the counting method, how many versions there were remains unknown.

If our old forum still existed, the data would have been added
Unfortunately no longer possible = 18 years of support lost.

Small mistake at 9:
04/10/2007 was a sneak preview
The final 9 was released on 04/28/2007.

Versions for 9 and 10 seem to have been forgotten?
Come up with other numbers!

So there is still a lot that remains hidden from users.
I think the subscription model is a good idea
You get the submitted improvements faster.

Example: (not via topics in the forum, but submitted directly by German support)
As an improvement, I suggested column fixing as in Excel back in 2005.
A request for this was made in 2008.

Was therefore submitted again later like many other improvements for Do12.
(unfortunately it was already too late, so it was scheduled for the next major release)

Since then it has been on hold for a new release.
Nobody could have guessed that this would take 7 years.

I am therefore delighted that a very large part of my suggestions are now available in DO13.
Fittingly, there were 13 improvements.

The long wait for a new version to be released is therefore no longer necessary and the subscription model
well solved.

5 Likes

Thanks for the added information @Nobmen!

Corrected what I could in the OP table. You are correct; some information is missing due to lost forums. What is presented above is to my knowledge based on my history with DOpus since v8 and the current forum, specifically this thread: New Releases - Directory Opus Resource Centre. The thread highlighted v9 and v10 updates, including incredibly minor updates, but never identified them as betas.

That said, I, too, am happy with v13, comfortable with the new licensing model, and look forward to DOpus' continued evolution.

1 Like

Thank Chuck ! Truly a good post.
It can serve a kind of spirit guide reality check.

But reality is that the end doesn't justify the means.
All I am saying is that if too much is rigid, the computer science spirit of Directory Opus that makes it great can in the end be defeated.

I have thought of a few things I'd like Directory Opus to do over the years.
One was actually implemented in the end. I wanted a way to make a custom start menu and had a really stupid idea on how to do that. Go FolderContent and many options for it became a reality.
I also remember when folder tabs were a hotly debated idea. It took some time, but we got them ! Anyone want to go back ?

I don't care how many or often updates are released.
But, yes it would be good to see updates worth something now and then.

You're right !
These things take time and reasoning though and is historically to me at least, best left to them.
They have proven they deserve my trust, but that doesn't necessarily extend to potential new users.
And at least I think the economics of Directory Opus needs new money.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, David. Appreciate your perspective and glad one of your requests was implemented!

Like you, I'm confident in the DOpus team and am happy to continue supporting their efforts.