Dopus is driving me nuts! (Conflict w/ Visual Tooltips?)

Anywhere from 3 to 10 times per day, Dopus completely hangs the computer. I have found no consistency or any particular process that I am performing when it happens. It seems to occur at random intervals. I thought the latest v9.16 would fix it, but no luck.

The only way to get my computer back is restart or to CTL-ALT-DEL and kill the 2 processes with Process Explorer:

dopus.exe
dopusrt.exe

This has been happening for several months and I would like a solution. Other than that, it is one of the best and most useful programs around.

I am using XP Pro SP3.

Many thanks for any help,

Silver

Hi,

did you read the FAQ covering this topic "General slowdown or instability investigation steps"

[url]Dopus is driving me nuts! (Conflict w/ Visual Tooltips?)]

Maybe you can find the culprit. Good luck.

I think this is what the other message means:

[General slowdown or instability investigation steps)

(It has a "closed loop" link.)

When faced with such things, I usually suspect some nasty conflict with something else. The FAQ is pretty thorough, as you would expect, at fingering some candidates. If it doesn't work, try killing other (non crucial) processes in taskmanager. You may kill one and suddenly find that DOPus does a "roadrunner" on you and sprints into action.

Pick on things you have installed, or updated, in the past couple of months.

See these FAQs as well as the general instability FAQ which xbprm and michael mentioned:

[ul][li]Crash, exit or high CPU when viewing a certain directory
[/li]
[li]Crash, exit or high CPU usage when right-clicking certain files[/li][/ul]

(I've just added links to those two FAQs to the general one as they're all related.)

My bet is that you've got video codecs which are falling over when you visit folders with certain video files. It could be a lot of things and I might be wrong, but that usually seems to be the cause of apparently random instability like you are seeing. The "when viewing a certain directory" FAQ will help find the problem if I'm right.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have removed a program called Visual Tools that comes with Vista Transformation Pack 9.01.

24 hours and no problems. If it happens again, I will go over all of your suggestions in detail and try to find the culprit.

Silver0066

Do you mean Visual Tooltips?

chrisnsoft.com/visual-tooltip/

(That seems to be one of the many things included in Vista Transformation Pack.)

Seems like it isn't just Opus that it causes problems with. Comment from here:

windowsxlive.net/vista-trans ... ts-fixed...

[quote="leo"]Do you mean Visual Tooltips?

chrisnsoft.com/visual-tooltip/

(That seems to be one of the many things included in Vista Transformation Pack.)

Seems like it isn't just Opus that it causes problems with. Comment from here:

windowsxlive.net/vista-trans ... ts-fixed...

[quote]Vista transformation pack 9.0.1 visual tooltip display dialog box error report on startup and window explorer error report on a few session when opening program. This error rise only after vista transformation pack installed.[/quote][/quote]Yes, Visual Tool Tips. I removed it and everything is much better. Now only occurs every few days. I will keep looking at suggestions when I get time.

Thanks for the help,

Silver