DOpus Not Remembering State Upon Reopening

I'm having a problem, that I find very peculiar since I've never experienced the issue in the years I've used DOpus.

At some point, it seemed to have lost the ability to remember my lister setup and open tabs after closing and reopening it, instead reverting to the open tabs from several weeks earlier.

Here are the steps I took to try to fix the issue myself:

1. I made sure that the option "Open the listers that were open when the program was last closed" was checked. (It was)

2. I backed up my configuration, went to /dopusdata and deleted everything in the folder, then restarted DOpus. However, this ended up deleting all toolbars and menus, so I followed the instructions given here Missing toolbar menu to try to bring them back, only to find out the list of available toolbars was blank.

3. I completely uninstalled and reinstalled DOpus (downgrading from the 12.17.4 beta to the 12.17 stable), re-inputted my license code, and restored my configuration from the backup I had made earlier. This made my setup just as it was, except that both the left and right sides of the lister only had tabs for C:\ and my custom toolbars weren't visble. I brought them back up, arranged them as I wanted, and brought manually back up my tabs. I thought everything was fine at this point, until I went to close DOpus and reopened it. At this point, DOpus just loaded it in the state it was in right after I restored my configuration from the backup.

So with things as they are, I can't close DOpus unless I want to lose all the tabs I have open and rearrange my toolbars each and every time.

Is there a way to fix this problem? I thank you in advance for the help.

When you say "until I went to close DOpus and reopened it" did you actually exit the program via the File -> Exit Directory Opus command (or from right-clicking the taskbar icon), or did you just close the Lister?

Simply closing the Lister does not (by default) cause the program to exit, and the Open the listers that were open when the program was last closed option only applies to when the program is actually exited and then restarted.

When you just close the Lister and then open a new one, the Default Lister is what's used. You can update your Default Lister (which will remember both tabs and toolbars) using the Settings -> Set as Default Lister command. Or, turn on the Preferences / Launching Opus / Default Lister / Update Default Lister automatically when closing a Lister option, and the Default Lister will be updated automatically whenever a Lister is closed. This is the default behaviour and sounds like how you're expecting things to work.

Thank you for the quick response, Jon.

When I said "until I went to close DOpus and reopened it", I meant either just cling the close button at the top right corner, or right-clicking the icon on the start menu and clicking "close window." So I suppose that means I was simply closing the open lister.

I didn't realize that the "Open the listers that were open when the program was last closed" option only worked when exiting DOpus altogether, thus my confusion.

Anyway, I followed your instructions about turning on the "Preferences / Launching Opus / Default Lister / Update Default Lister automatically when closing a Lister" option, then closed the lister and tried reopening it, but for some reason it still opened the new lister in the state it was in right after I restored my configuration from the backup. I then fixed my toolbars, and went "File > Close Directory Opus" and then reopened it, only to have the new lister open in the same state it was in after the backup again.

I then tried following your advice about using the "Settings -> Set as Default Lister" option, which then seems to have cleared whatever was causing the lister to open in that initial back up state, and it now seems to update the state of the default lister properly each time it closes, just like it used to.

I'm confused as to why this happened, though. I never changed the "Update Default Lister automatically when closing a Lister" option (or even knew there was such an option), so if that is the default behavior, I don't know why the setting was turned off in the first place.

I also don't understand why turning that setting back on didn't work until after using the "Set as Default Lister" command. I only thing I can guess is that the 12.17.4 beta update messed up the setting somehow, and then downgrading to the 12.17 stable build and restoring the backup made from a newer build somehow made things worse until I cleared out the old lister state by setting a new one as default.

Either way, everything seems to work now, and I'll probably be staying clear of the beta builds for the time being so this kind of thing doesn't happen again.:sweat_smile:

Thank you so much for the help, Jon! :smile:

I downloaded the Dopus 12 Pro trial version 10/26/19 and had the same problems discussed above all day on 10/27/19. I just signed up for an account and noticed the discussion.

Have you tried what Jon suggested in his post?

No. I just purchased Dopus 12 Pro and have not done any additional probing. This problem came close to being a deal killer for me. I'm glad I hung in there.

The option is on by default and doesn't turn itself off automatically. If you didn't turn it off yourself the only other option would be installing a config that has it turned off.