Dopus search isn't using index?

Hi,

Why is Dopus not using index when searching for files?
I've searched for "devenv.exe" in C: and it passed more than 5 minutes and still not one single result. On SSD drive.

Listary on the other hand returned the results before I even finished typing.
I think this kind of makes Searching totally useless for finding files on global scale?

I saw one older thread about this (3 years ago). Search with Indexed files
Is there some new information about maybe implementing indexed search in dopus?

Windows Search will be used if you use the search field at the top right. That is an indexed search.

If you use the Find Panel, it's not indexed.

Indexed or not, neither should take 5 minutes just to do a filename search.

Note that if just type a filename into the search field, it is not just doing a filename search. That will search file content as well. (Same in Windows Explorer. In fact, Opus does not even parse the search field string; it's sent straight to Windows Search and it's up to the OS what it does with it.) You can use filename:devenv.exe to restrict the search to filenames alone.

Also note that Windows Search only indexes certain folders by default, so doing a file content search will be slow outside of those folders unless you configure Windows Search otherwise.

Thanks Leo. This is some new and really useful information to me.
But, shouldn't filename: be default in top right search field?

Is there maybe some search field argument which will allow me to make filename: prefix default?

We didn't design Windows Search so you're asking the wrong people. :slight_smile:

No. You could make a button that prompts you for a search string and runs the query with filename: stuck on the front of it, if you want, but there's no way to make the search field itself work like that.