DOpus Thread Error in 9.1 from Drag & Drop on 64-bit Vista

[quote="7331a"]The number of people with this problem is growing like an avalanche. :slight_smile:

Are DOpus programmers even working on this? They are awfully quiet...[/quote]

Ask them, not us here at the forums.

I've sent in a support ticket, so they don't miss it. I'm sure they will find a solution to it in the not to distant future.

(Nudel: I just saw your tweaking guide for the Dell 24" screen. I've one of those around here and your guide was excellent. Thanks a ton for that one. :smiley: )

I uninstalled 9.1 x64 and tried to install x86, but it detects that my system is x64, so it doesn't install.

So 9.1 x64 doesn't work, it doesn't let me install x86, what a nightmare this 9.1 has turned out to be... :slight_smile:

Returning to 9.0.0.9 has solved everything...

We have been trying to get this issue resolved but so far none of the people we have asked to try test versions have responded.

Anyone who would like this issue fixed and is prepared to actually try a test version and report back, please speak up.

Obviously this is not such a major issue after all, since no one has actually offered to help with the testing of this. Glad we can stop worrying about it then :slight_smile:

Don't you dare stop worrying. :wink:

I'll keep those test reports coming for as long as it takes. :slight_smile:

Here, here! I'd also like to help out testing as this bug is driving me INSANE! (Vista Ultimate 64-bit). Tell me what to do and I'll gladly be of assistance :slight_smile:

[quote="artstorm"]Don't you dare stop worrying. :wink:

I'll keep those test reports coming for as long as it takes. :slight_smile:[/quote]
Is that an offer to try the test version Jon mentioned? (Or have you already got in touch with each other and you're already trying it? If so does it seem okay so far?)

yes, I've been able to test it, so I'll torture it with filedragging and collect memory dumps to help out as much as I can with providing Greg and Jon with the information they need to find and squash this bug. I hope others with the problem start to do the same, and I am sure this will be fixed soon.

I'm running Opus 9.1 on 3PC's currently, the x86 Version running on XP32 never showed the problem, the x64 Version on Vista Ultimate x64 runs on the two others and the error happens on both of them. So far I couldn't make out a reason that causes it. It doesn't seem to be related to specific file types, I even had it happen when dragging text files. Once the error showed up it will keep on happening until the system is actually restarted.
If I can be of help testing let me know.

well, got the same fault with my vista64. :frowning:
any new output from the developers (status) ? any chance in the near future for a fixed release ?

thanx for any vital signs. :laughing:

If you want it fixed quicker offer to try the test versions. Writing to GPSoftware Support (link in my sig) is the most direct way to offer to help.

Feedback (and offers to test) hasn't exactly been pouring in to be honest but there's one indication so far that the crash is happening inside components installed by video codec packs. If you have codec packs installed, or any codecs or video splitter files that you've added yourself, try uninstalling or unregistering them to see if the problem goes away.

sorry, i have nothing installed what u listed - there's no special codec, no video spitter or something else - i only use what the original vista64-ultimate os got !

Fair enough, maybe those components are not the cause then. That's all we have to go on so far as AFAIK only one person has sent in any crash reports. (Maybe more people have sent them privately; I only see what gets posted via the forums.)

You can either offer to help GPSoft track down the problem by contacting them to get a test version and sending in the reports that it generates when it crashes, or wait for other people to do so.

nudel,

Just posted another dump in the x64 beta forum.

Thanks,

Mark.

Cheers Mark, good that someone's on the case!

Lets hope this one sheds some more light on the issue as the questionable components were unregistered so the actual culprit may be more visible this time.

This is interesting. A few weeks ago, I started working on a virtual filesystem plugin and encountered the same error. I assumed at the time that this was due to a bug in my code (which is still likely the case).

Due to work I do not have a lot of time to work on it at the moment. I am still in the process of hunting down the bug.

Populating a lister in the VFS_ReadDirectory(A/W) function seemed to work correctly, however when switching to a different directory (either inside or outside the virtual filesystem namespace) it would (always) throw this error. This would only occur if the current directory contained any files (and/or directories).

I'm not sure if this is at all related. I also wasn't testing it on the latest dopus (9.0.0.6. on XP (32bit) if I remember correctly).

About half a year ago, I started work on another plugin which seemed to work just fine (it uses the same code for populating listers). As soon as I have time, I will retest the old plugin and test it with the latest version. If it goes wrong as well, then I shall upload the plugin for debugging DOpus.

Regards,
Caine

That doesn't sound connected at all. It doesn't involve 64-bit nor drag & drop so I'd say it's a crash due to something else, most likely an error in the way your VFS plugin code was doing things.

VFS plugins have to be threadsafe (at least for certain operations) so that may have been the problem. If you want to discuss it more start a new post over in the Developers forum. I can give you code which populates things via the VFS API without crashing.

(I've renamed this thread so that it's more obvious we're only talking about 64-bit drag & drop crashes.)

Came here looking for people with the same problem - Vistax64 with quad core in my case. Hard to reproduce consistently i'm afraid but it does happen enough to get blinking annoying..