Drag and drop from DOpus not working

I'm running Directory Opus 12.26 x64 on Windows 10 Home.

This seems to be a recent issue with this latest version, as I don't recall having this issue before upgrading to 12.26.

What is happening is that I can't drag and drop files (to move/copy) between Lister windows within Directory Opus, nor can I drag from DOpus to an external application (such as to a Thunderbird compose window to attach a file to an email).

Drag and drop seems to be working fine from e.g. Windows File Explorer, but not to/from/within Directory Opus.

That is:

• File Explorer -> Thunderbird: OK
  • DOpus -> Thunderbird: Not working
  • File Explorer -> DOpus: Not working
  • DOpus -> File Explorer: Not working
  • DOpus -> Thunderbird: Not working
  • DOpus -> DOpus: Not working

I have not changed any of the default events in the File Types settings.

The issue also seems to remain after closing & reopening DOpus, and even after a system reboot.

Keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl-C/Ctrl-X and Ctrl-V) do seem to work between lister windows, so it's just the mouse drag-and-drop.

Any help please?

Does the problem happen if you use File > Exit Directory Opus to shut it down completely, then re-run it via the Start Menu?

Have you launched Opus elevated?

Are you testing with the same files in all cases?

Any mouse software that might change button meanings per process?

Any anyvirus or privacy guard software active that may block Opus from opening files? (Including Windows Defender)

Yes, the problem remains.

No.

I've tried several different files, in different directories.

None.

Only Windows Defender, but I don't think it's blocking Opus.
I can, for example, double click on a file in Opus and have it open in its normal default application. It just seems to be drag-and-drop that's broken.

Thanks for the prompt assistance.

Thanks for the answers.

Good point about Defender not blocking other actions; we can rule that out.

Drag & Drop not working can sometimes be caused by a previous drag from or to the program not being completed by one end of the drag & drop. We might be able to catch that happening, or maybe something else that's wrong, if you try a few drag & drops from/to Opus, and then take some process snapshots:

We can look at the snapshots and see what the different threads are doing and if any of them is blocking on our code or someone else's, and hopefully see why.

Thanks for sending the snapshots.

Unfortunately, they don't show anything definite as the cause. All the threads look fairly normal and are idle, with nothing stuck in the middle of a drag & drop or anything like that.

There are some components from cloud storage software which are in the snapshot and may be worth investigating:

• pCloud Drive
  • Google Drive File Stream
  • Box Sync

With Box Sync in particular, a January update of that seems to be causing some strange issues for some people, which could also explain the problem you're seeing, as well as the way it only started happening recently. File Stream also looks like it was updated in January, which could be relevant.

You could try uninstalling them, but a quicker (albeit less definite) test could be to use ShellExView 64-bit to disable any shell extension DLLs related to either product (including any mentioning "cbfs" which is a component Box seems to use).

Thanks for the reply.

I tried disabling the shell extensions for those three cloud services using ShellExView x64 and it didn't really fix anything, so I re-enabled them.

But all of a sudden, a few hours later, drag and drop is working again in Opus! Who knows what happened, but it seems all OK now.

Thanks for your help!

1 Like