Dropbox Context Menu not showing

I cannot get the context menu to show for Dropbox. Right-clicking on a file should give me sharing options with Dropbox (see attachment 1). But instead I see nothing for Dropbox (attachment 2).

I have already updated to the latest version of DOpus (12.29) and checked the preferences for Windows Integration (Hide Windows items on file context menus is unchecked) and Miscellaneous-Advanced-Troubleshooting and allow_context_menus* and ignore_context_menus* are both empty.

Dropbox says it is a third party application issue because the context menus work fine in File Explorer. Please help!

Works fine here on several installations, and I don't recall making any special adjustments in Opus.

I'd uninstall/reboot/install Dropbox as a first quick try.

Same here.
I believe it's not Opus's problem because I don't change anything about Directory Opus.
I couldn't use it since last weekend (or this week).
Unfortunately, I can find dropbox shell-ex on context_menu_debug, but no dropbox function appears.

dropbox-context-menu-debug.txt (12.2 KB)

Environment:
Windows 11 (22000.978)
Dropbox 159.3.5829
Directory Opus 12.29 x64

As you mention, that log shows Opus is at least asking DropBox if they want to add any menu items (and then apparently they don't add any).

[40004] [42668] dopus: CLSID: {ECD97DE5-3C8F-4ACB-AEEE-CCAB78F7711C} (ContextMenuHandler Class) (C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\DropboxExt64.55.0.dll)

If you open Notepad, then File > Open from there, and right-click the same thing in that, do the menu items appear then, or are they missing there as well?

Leo,

I don't understand what you are asking. Are you saying to open the file topia posted in Notepad? Or something else? Please clarify what I should/could do.

topia - How did you create that debug file?

I confirmed the menu items appear on notepad open dialog.

Please check Finding The Culprit in this FAQ.

topia - thanks!

I also have the context menu options in Notepad (after figuring this out). I ran the debug and it looks like my results are the same as topia's.
FRED-XPS9520.txt (14.1 KB)

What happens in Notepad or File Explorer if you navigate to the folder’s real location (under a drive letter) instead of the virtual folder that’s at the root of the tree?

I'm not sure I understand, but if I open File Explorer and right click on a file that is located in Dropbox I get all the context menu items. It is only in DOpus that I don't. Or am I misunderstanding your question?

The dropbox folder exists in two places in the File Explorer folder tree. At the very top level of the tree, and also at a nested level which you can get to by going to This PC, then a drive letter (probably C:\ but it depends on where dropbox has put its folder) and so on until the real location is found.

If dropbox only adds its menu items to files in one location but not the other, then that might explain what’s going on.

OK. I think I understand. I navigated to the Dropbox folder using the tree starting at C and checked. Context menu still does not come up in DOpus.

For me, in notepad open dialog, dropbox context menu is shown with real path (D:...) and virtual path (Dropbox...).
I think Opus doesn't have virtual path for dropbox...

Again for me, the only place that the Dropbox context menu does not work is in Opus. And it does not work in Opus regardless of the path. It works in File Explorer and Notepad regardless of the path. It seems to be interaction with Opus.

Do you have anything listed under Preferences / Miscellaneous / Advanced [Troubleshooting]: ignore_context_menus ?

No. Here is a screenshot

I'm not really sure what to suggest. I just tried a fresh install of the latest version of Dropbox on a just-upgraded Win 11 22H2 virtual machine and the context menus show up fine inside of Opus. Perhaps give Ixp's suggestion of uninstall/reinstall Dropbox a try?

I'm not sure if this is the case, but I was on the "Early Release" of Dropbox (basically their beta). I turned Early Release off and reinstalled the regular application. Now the context menu works. Thanks all.

Thanks for letting us know!

Be sure to report it to them as well, so they can fix it.

Not sure if this will help. I am having a similar issue.

My version of Dropbox is 159.4.5870. This is the current release. I am currently on Windows 11 Pro v22H2 build 22621.608. I have attached the following images to show what I am seeing. On Opus I did both mouse right-click only, and then held shift followed by mouse right-click.

File Explorer context menu: