Dropbox context menu options x 2

Hi. I've just installed v12.30. I am now getting double instances of dropbox options in my Windows 11 context menu. See attached. Help?

Do both sets of menu items work?

What version of Dropbox do you have installed?

Yes, both sets of menus work.
Latest version of Dropbox: 161.4.4923 / November 9, 2022

Can you please follow the instructions here:

(that link should take you directly to "Finding The Culprit", with instructions on downloading DebugView and activating context menu debugging).

Once you've done that, please right-click on something that shows the double menu, and then post the output from DebugView that shows which context menu handlers were invoked.

Thanks Jon. I think I've done this correctly - let me know if not. Attached is the debugview log.

debugview-log.zip (3.8 KB)

Thanks for that. After trying a few times I was able to see the same thing on a Windows 11 machine, but it seems very inconsistent. Sometimes I get one group, sometimes two or three. And I am now actually seeing the same thing in Explorer too. Do you see this in Explorer as well? (click the "Show more options" at the bottom of the new-style Explorer context menu to get to the old one).

Hi Jon. Yes, I'm seeing the same thing in Explorer too.

It looks like Dropbox have an issue where both their old (pre-Win11) and new (Win11) shell extensions are installed and (sometimes) both add menu items, resulting in duplicates.

From our testing, it seems that sometimes one adds its items, sometimes the other, and sometimes both. So uninstalling or blocking one of them may not solve things, as it could mean none of the items appear sometimes. Unless the issue only happens when both are there at once; hard to say.

It's something that Dropbox need to fix really, especially since it's also affecting File Explorer.

Understood. Thanks for your efforts, Jon and Leo. It's not the end of the world and I'll just wait and hope it gets fixed some time soon.

In the next update we'll add a kludge to prevent the duplicate items from appearing in Opus. They'll still appear in Explorer of course, until Dropbox fix the underlying issue.

Cool. Thanks for that.