DVD Drive Not showing

I inserted a DVD in my DVD drive, but it does not show up in Opus. How do I get it to show up? See screen shot.

Thanks.

Does it show up in Explorer?

Sometimes DVD drives don't tell the OS they have new media, so Opus and/or Explorer continue to think they are empty and hide them.

You can configure Opus not to hide empty drives if the problem persists.

I recently had this happen with both Opus and Explorer, and found that manually typing the DVD drive letter to navigate to it caused the drive to wake up and Windows to realise there was a disc in it, which then appeared in both programs.

It shows in Windows Explorer. My screenshot compares Explorer with Opus.

Sorry, I viewed the thread on a narrow screen before so didn't see Explorer on the right of the screenshot.

If you use File > Exit Directory Opus (don't just close the window), then re-launch Opus, does the drive then appear?

If it still doesn't appear, does it when you toggle these two options?:

• Preferences / Folders / Virtual Folders / Show empty disk drives
  • Preferences / Folder Tree / Contents / Empty disk drives

Thanks. That did the trick. Do I have to do this every time?

If it happens a lot, the drive probably isn't reporting media changes properly. (Explorer handles drives that don't reliably report the changes a bit better than Opus at the moment.) If that is the case, I'd recommend changing the two options I mentioned above so the drive is always shown.

I have this same problem. Completely exiting Dopus, then restarting, makes the DVD drive appear, but that's a pain (and one more thing to remember to be done each time!).

I'd prefer to just have Dopus show my DVD drive, which is your suggestion. How would I accomplish that?

Please try turning on these two options:

• Preferences / Folder Tree / Contents / Empty disk drives

Thanks, that works.

FYI, this problem occurs only on my Windows 7 machines.

The XP machines show the DVD drive only when a DVD has been inserted (my preferred behavior).

In my experience it's often a hardware issue. Some DVD drives do not correctly notify the operating system when media is inserted. I have a Pioneer (branded, not actually made by Pioneer, it turns out) which exhibits this problem, and Windows won't notice a DVD has been inserted until something forces it to notice. (Refreshing the Computer display in Windows Explorer will make it notice, and then Windows simulates the notification so that other software sees the drive as well. Manually navigating to the drive in most programs should work as well.)

I am using Directory Opus Lite 12 Version 12.3

• Preferences / Folder Tree / Contents / Empty disk drives?

In Settings, Preferences, Folders, I do not have Virtual Folders listed.

If I am working in a folder and I put in a DVD, the DVD drive will not appear. Even pressing the F5 key will not work.

In Settings, Customise Toolbars, Keys, can I assign a hotkey (like F12) to display the DVD drive or even a CD drive?

First of all, why have you put in these characters? [ul][li]

This thread is 8 years old, dating back to the old forum. The new Forum Software messed up the list syntax conversion in an update some years after the initial conversion.

I've fixed the old posts, and your new one.

The option may not be there in Opus Light. I can check for you if you link your account.

Does File Explorer see your DVD drive?

Which part of Opus are you expecting the drive to appear in but not seeing it? (Drives can be displayed in a number of places.)

BTW, I am also using a Pioneer. However, this is a Blu-ray / DVD ROM drive.

The DVD ROM drive is appearing now when I put in a disc, but it takes 15 seconds to do so.

I do have AutoPlay turned off in GPEdit.msc in Windows Components. I thought that was it and changed it back to not configured. It did not make any difference, so I put it back.

File Explorer does the same and takes 15 seconds.

In Preferences / Folder Tree / Contents / Empty disk drives, I checked that. Even though the drive now shows, the content of a DVD still takes 10 to 15 seconds to show. I think this is normal to be slow. Working in modern solid state drives makes you impatient .:slight_smile: