Error message when copying files

Hello everyone. I'm a Forum Newbie who is a DO user, NOT a DO expert!
Did a quick search of the forum for similar problem - nothing similar.

Been a long-time computer user from DOS days and a long time user of DO 10.xx (from 2011)

Recently upgraded to an Intel NUC (512GB M.2 [C:\ Sys OS] + 1TB internal SSD [D:\ Data]) + Win 10.
DO10.x worked very well UNTIL I renamed the internal SSD (D:) from 'HP Data' to 'NUC Data' (D:).

When I try to bring in newer files from my HP laptop data drive (as an external USB with drive letter changed from D:\ to 'P:) using drag & drop, I get the error message:

"System cannot find the file specified. (2)" [grrr ... tried to cut & past error snapshot image but unsuccessful.]

DO certainly finds the files - I can click on them and open them work on them and save them within both the same drives. I just cant copy BETWEEN drives.

'Copy' (drag & drop) works perfectly between two 'Windows Explorer' windows using exactly the same 5 files.

I certainly don't know whether this is a DO problem (something I've done in 'Settings' ?) or one of the 'features' of Win 10, or something related to the Intel NUC. Basically, I don't know where to start looking for a way to resolve this - it's weird.

[Yeah, yeah - rebooted NUC and re-opened DO many times - still same result :frowning: ]

Almost certainly I've not included enough relevant information here. Please ask for extra info (and suggest where to find it, please)

Any help will be appreciated

Update 2018-12-04 12:12. Now having problems saving to internal data drive (D:) ["General i/o data error while accessing D:\Ian Stuff ......"]. Starting to look like a hardware/Win 10 problem. If someone knows more about what the problem may be, I'd still appreciate the help. :slight_smile:

From the update at the bottom, that sounds like maybe the drive's cable is loose or bad, or potentially a worse hardware fault.

Sometimes issues like that can also be fixed by installing the motherboard's chipset and SATA drivers, or updating the motherboard's firmware, too. (If not already installed and up to date.)

Thanks for reply, Leo.
Drive with problem is internal Sata SSD (D:). All was working OK up till the time I resized the data drive.
Re-formatting and copying all the data from laptop Data drive made no difference.

There is definitely something wrong with system now, as a tried and tested favourite program (Open Office) can no longer save back to D:, even though it can be opened from D:. Same error type: "File can't be found" which makes no sense to me.

Driver and firmware updates ... hopefully not on something just 2 weeks old! [I'll keep it in mind, though, for when all else fails. :slight_smile: ]. Win 10 repair may also be needed.

I'm thinking something like permissions in Win 10, which may be preventing write access?
Arrrrrggggghhhhhh!!! Why did I abandon my very stable laptop with Win7 Pro?

Anyway, I doubt it is a Directory Opus problem, so I'll look for something else.

Thanks again for your, very quick response and thoughts, Leo.

PS Call this thread closed?

Update for those interested ...
Win 10 was corrupted (in registry possibly).
Did a roll-back (restore) to a few days ago and all is fine.
Culprit may have been Easus.

Update to the update.
Nope. Next time I accessed the computer the same problem returned.
DO gives error message as previously described, while two Windows of File Explorer allows files to be copied (either by drag-and-drop or cut-and-paste) from/to the same drives that DO can't do.
Is DO 10 Pro not suitable for Win 10?
Is Micro$oft not playing nicely and deliberately stuffing DO??
Most frustrating.

I need to add a screen shot, but drag/drop or cut/paste doesn't work for me. How is it done?

Anyone ?

• It won't be due to Windows 10, at least unless you are using a very old version of Opus. Windows 10 is what almost all of us are using. (That said, Windows 10 can install some poor drivers by default, see below.)

• Try using the Copy Files button rather than drag & drop to see if that makes a difference.

In other words, get the folder you want to copy from in the left file display, and the one you want to copy to in the right. Then select some files to copy in the left, and click Copy Files.

• Are you running Opus elevated as administrator? The admin account/context may see drives differently to the standard one, which could cause problems.

If you are doing that: Instead of that, use the UAC support built in to Opus instead of elevating the whole program. See: Why NOT to run Opus as Administrator under UAC.

• Which Opus version are you using? Your profile says 10, which is very old now, but if you're using 11 or 12, what is this setting in Opus set to?

• Preferences / Miscellaneous / Advanced [Filesystem]: copy_nonbufferio_threshold

Try setting it to 0 (zero) if it isn't already. Other settings can cause trouble with some things which don't work correctly with non-buffered I/O.

• You could generate a Process Monitor log of what happens to see if that shines any light on what's going on:

Process Monitor instructions

• Make sure your drivers are up to date. Windows 10 can install some poor driver choices by default. The important ones for file copying are the ones that usually come from the device manufacturer's website for that device (or motherboard on custom-made PCs), in the downloads area: The motherboard/chipset drivers and the SATA drives.

• Other than that, there isn't really any reason Opus shouldn't be able to access the same drives that Explorer does.

G'day again Leo. Thanks for your detailed reply. I've commented on your thoughts.

• It won't be due to Windows 10, at least unless you are using a very old version of Opus. Windows 10 is what almost all of us are using. (That said, Windows 10 can install some poor drivers by default, see below.)
    OK - no conspiracy theory, then. :slight_smile:

• Try using the Copy Files button rather than drag & drop to see if that makes a difference.In other words, get the folder you want to copy from in the left file display, and the one you want to copy to in the right. Then select some files to copy in the left, and click Copy Files.
    No ... copy & paste won't work either.

• Are you running Opus elevated as administrator? The admin account/context may see drives differently to the standard one, which could cause problems.If you are doing that: Instead of that, use the UAC support built in to Opus instead of elevating the whole program. See: Why NOT to run Opus as Administrator under UAC .

At the moment while I'm setting everything up I'm using the Admin account in Win10. Is that what you are asking?

• Which Opus version are you using?

DO10.0
Your profile says 10, which is very old now, but if you're using 11 or 12, what is this setting in Opus set to?

• Preferences / Miscellaneous / Advanced [Filesystem]: copy_nonbufferio_thresholdTry setting it to 0 (zero) if it isn't already. Other settings can cause trouble with some things which don't work correctly with non-buffered I/O.

Found in DO10. Was 1MB; now set to zero - no change to copy problem

• You could generate a Process Monitor log of what happens to see if that shines any light on what's going on:Process Monitor instructions
    Will look into that.

• Make sure your drivers are up to date. Windows 10 can install some poor driver choices by default. The important ones for file copying are the ones that usually come from the device manufacturer's website for that device (or motherboard on custom-made PCs), in the downloads area: The motherboard/chipset drivers and the SATA drives.

(maybe) Easus corrupted or overwrote driver files. It was the only program installed since everything worked. Something changed - DO10 used to work perfectly. When restored back a few days the computer and DO work perfectly until I re-boot (which I assume re-loads corrupted drivers?).

Will download and install latest Intel drivers to see if that works. Most reluctant to do BIOS at this stage.(Have memories of doing BIOS updated from 25 years ago and the long nervous wait to see if the motherboard got bricked.)

• Other than that, there isn't really any reason Opus shouldn't be able to access the same drives that Explorer does.
    And that's the problem - DO10 will now NOT do what Windows Explorer can do - ie successfully copy files across drives. BUT it used to.
    If (and I'm in serious lack-of-knowledge area here) DO operates in a 'shell' as does Open Office? (which also throws up weird writing errors) does that tell you anything not already considered?

The reason for getting a screen shot into this thread is to show the rather weird directory tree in DO.
In words:
The tree is set to start at
"Drives". Then under that is
D:\ (NUC Data) with a cube icon, then
C:\ (OS Win 10) then
D:\ (NUC Data) but with a standard drive icon then
E:\ (Lumix) [My camera's SD card via a USB adaptor] then
T:\ (NUC Backup) [My daily back-up drive]

Why there is a D:\ listing before the C:\ listing has me stumped.
BOTH of the D:\ (NUC DATA) listings are fully functional - I can scroll down and view and manipulate an image, for instance, but can't save back to exactly the same drive the original image was derived from.
[SIGH] OK - doing drivers tomorrow. If that doesn't work a Win 10 repair then [shudder] BIOS update.

Thanks for all your help so far, Leo. It is appreciated.
It's my tired old brain that's having trouble soaking up all that info. :confused:
Regards.

Leo mentioned that Do 10 is quite old. You say you are using D0 10.0 which is certainly even older older than whatever the last update to DO 10 was. Maybe you could get GP Software to furnish you the latest update to DO 10 and thereby get at least slightly more current.

However, you now say

Something changed - DO10 used to work perfectly.

Given that. the cause of the problem almost certainly has to be something other than Opus which changed since Opus worked perfectly, right?

Don't you have to concentrate on identifying and possibly eliminating whatever changed?

In the event that possibly something in Windows that you can't avoid changed and affects the behavior of Opus, Opus 10 is almost certainly not going to be updated to deal with whatever it is.

G'day RC.
I totally agree with the thoughts of both Leo and yourself. Although old, DO10 still seems to do all I want. Until this hiccup, that is. Yes, I believe the problem is not with DO, but OS related.

BTW I just LOVE DO - Once I discovered it (after many other Win Explorer replacements), I've never used anything else. The only reason for not upgrading is that DO10 does everything I want, as a user, not a guru.

Um .... embarassingly ... in trying to re-install Win 10 to get back to where I was ... I've completely locked the NUC into (what appears to be) a Win 10 recovery loop and everything I've tried won't get me out of it.

So tomorrow it's off to the local computer guru who will know a hell-of-a-lot more about Win 10 than I do!

Leo: Intel claims to have all the latest drivers already in Win10 and there are no driver / chipset updates applicable to the particular NUC I have. Motherboard does need an update, however, and I'll get the whizz kids to do that first.

To both of you, thanks so much for all your help. It is appreciated.

Best regards,
Ian

PS back with my trusty HP laptop and Win 7 and DO 10! :slight_smile:
Edited to remove typos.