Error on DOpus 10 caused by status bar

Can you PM me a crash dump (Crash dumps for bug reports) from 10.0.0.3 please?

instigator & kundal,

I've sent you both private messages with a test version that I hope will help track this down.

Kundal, what's the tool you're using that adds the extra gadgets in the window titlebars? If it's easy to disable, could you see if it is related to the crash in any way? (Try the test version first in case it fixes the crash by itself.)

From the crash minidump it looks like the crash is happening inside the tooltip itself (in code that is part of Windows), and would only happen if the mouse was moved across the tooltip as it closed. (i.e. If you're using a maximized lister, or one near the bottom of the screen, then the tooltip will appear above the status bar and moving the mouse up towards the tree, and into the tooltip, is somehow triggering the crash. I was always testing with the tooltip appearing below the window; however, even changing that I still cannot reproduce the crash myself so far...)

Hi leo,
I've sent vou a PM with the Logfile of Debug-View. The crash also happens with the testversion of dopus.exe you sent me.
When I created the logfile the tool you mentioned was not running. It's "4t Tray Minimizer". It doesn't seem to be related to the crash. As I said in another post above I already tried to exit all running processes which are not essential for the System (including several svchost-processes until Windows died :slight_smile: ) with no success.

I've spent several hours looking at this but I still cannot cause it to crash or see anything that might cause a crash in the code, even concentrating on what the logs show.

All I can think of, which I haven't been able to try, is it's something to do with the modified Aero.msstyles, since you can't use a modified version without modifying system DLLs. It's possible the DLL modification has caused a problem, I guess. (Even when using the Classic theme, the DLL is still modified, I think?)

Other than that, I'm out of ideas. I've tried everything I can think of but still never see a crash.

Hold the press...

I've just managed to reproduce it on another machine. No idea why it happens there but not here, but at least now I can experiment.

Update: It only happens when the machine is accessed via Remote Desktop. Knowing that, I can now repro it on my main computer.

Update 2: It only happens if the Windows "fade or slide ToolTips into view" setting is turned off. That explains the Remote Desktop aspect.

Hi leo:

I can confirm this! After changing this setting the crash is gone.

I've fixed the problem and sent you both PMs with a new test dopus.exe.

The fix will be included in the next beta version (should be this weekend) so it's up to you if you want to wait for that or use the test version I've sent.

Thanks for fixing this! The test version you sent me via PM is working for me.

Excellent!

Thanks very much to both of you for your patience & help tracking this down.

It's much fun to help making DOpus a little bit more perfect or help other users to create exotic Button Codes.
Sometimes it's more exciting for me than solving difficult riddles in an adventure game. :smiley:

[quote="leo"]Excellent!

Thanks very much to both of you for your patience & help tracking this down.[/quote]

Thanks to you. It work OK for me now.
Again thanks.