Everything v1.5a (alpha)

There are a few threads about this already, but the summary is:

• 1.4 is supported.

• 1.5 will be supported in the future, but is currently still in alpha and doesn’t have a published API yet.

Awh, that's unfortunate!

I looked at how long this v1.5alpha is in development and it's been quite some time, so much time that I thought it cannot be that bad/unstable anymore. But no published API yet is a show stopper of course regarding DO integration.

Maybe I just run stable and alpha at the same time!? o) The GUI of Everything v1.5a is much better I think and running both at the same time does not seem to be a problem.

Is there a history in DO of the Everything queries fired from the "+" quick command thingy somewhere?
I currently use ">" and "Find name=foo in=bar .." a lot and since the commands are remembered in the command history, it's very accessable and very easy to modify for another run. The Everything thing should work like this I expect (somehow I do, I can't help! o).

Thank you! o)

Check out this in depth syntax page

https://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10176#datesyntax

Yeah, it's madness! o)

The "simple" syntax is more than enough to start with:
https://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10860

After some more research about the 1.5alpha API issue.
It seems you can set a property in Everything (advanced settings section), which seems to make it 1.4 compatible somehow. I tried and it seems to work.

alpha_instance=0

There are several references about this setting in the Everything forum and even here:
https://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=36726#p36726

Thats the way to go with ET 1.5 for quite a long time, if using it in DO.See postings here about EverythinDopus enhancement https://resource.dopus.com/t/everythingdopus-a-utility-to-integrate-everything-with-directory-opus/43844.

1 Like

Yes, please excuse my ignorance and beginner level regarding Everything, I never used it and still have lot's of things to discover (I assume o). My current feeling is, that the DO integration still lacks some points and that the browsing/viewing capabilites of Everything lack big time, so not sure how I will end up.

Running a DO native "Find" via command bar gives quick results as well, has a history, queries can be modified easily and results can be browsed nicely.. so I'm not completely sold on the Everything "thing" yet, apart from the fact that the Everything search can give you a quick glance over millions of files without setting up where to look beforehand.

But since I tend to sort my stuff most of the time.. I don't find myself trying to find "things" "somewhere" that often, but yes, it can happen. It is at least fun to enter queries and look at all the weird files popping up. o) Like old pictures of friends or avi-files / movie scenes from anchient pc games etc.. it's more like a fun toy right now for random "zooms" into the existing file base. o)

And the thing is, I actually don't like searching things. It just does not feel right to me on a local computer. When developing software e.g., using the search function of the IDE to find specific source files always gives me weird feelings. If you don't know where your files are in the project or they are that hard to get to otherwise, I think something is wrong on a conceptual level.

I use file "search" more as a query to a database. I know things are there and I need to find out how many and what type in a specific location, but that's just me of course.
And yes, in the "meantime" I realized, people are all different, who could have thought! o))

1 Like

The main feature of Everything1.5a is indexing item properties. For example, Alternate Data Streams, finding duplicate attribute items. . .

Really, the main feature of v1.5?

My impression is rather, that it's a complete rewrite of v1.4, externalizing http server and others into plugins, multi threading etc. "Alternate Data Streams" nobody knows about, this cannot be the main feature?

But then, I'm very new to Everything.. o)

Yep, 1.5a is faster, I'm just expressing my partial opinion because I don't need that many features.
Alternate Data Streams is just one of the properties.

Do you use the ADS indexing? If yes what is a proper usecase for you?

Tag files and folders without changing the names, or the files themselves, but this only works on NTFS partitions.

Ok, 2 more questions now that you are here! o)

What "tag editor" do you use? Something DO related?
How do you sync the tags in ADS to your backup?

Use a script that has an edit dialog and a list view dialog.
GoodSync, but does not update the ADS if the item exists on the target. But the RAID1 hard drive has been backed up.

Ok, thank you. I wonder what's the point of using ADS tags and things, when there is no way to sync any changes to a backup. I use ADS for rating some folders with DO and things, but without any real sync available, it's kinda pointless. In case of recovery, you end up with all the old ratings, tags, comments etc. or with NONE, if you put hard work into ADS tags/data after the first copy to the backup happened - even worse.

Yes, so you need RAID1 disk or regular overwrite backup. . .

RAID with NVMe drives and 100Gbit-LAN to get the ratings and comments backup-ed, I see! o))

This really does not work out for a collection of files spanning several decades. When you have a lot of *.iso files, flacs, disk images, movies etc., you can't always copy over several terrabytes of data, just to get the rating synced. I mean you can, but really, this is the wrong approach from my point of view.

How does Opus detect + use Everything, as I like to use portable version of ET, but it obviously can't find it. Is there a way to point Opus at Everything Portable folder to get it working in Opus ?

I used the executables from the zip, did not install, just extracted into a folder somewhere, then just run the Everything exe and it should work. I restarted DO iirc, since I don't know when DO will test for ports or the Everything API being present.

May I humbly point you to BackupMeta?