Exclude a folder from the list below the Favorites List?

Hello. There is a list of 10 folders below my favorites list. I'm not sure whether it is the "Recent List" or "SmartFavorites". Is there a way I can exclude a folder from it? There is a sensitive folder listed there that is on an encrypted drive that is not normally mounted on my computer.

Its not quite what you are after, but there is an option to remove smart favourites that no longer exist.

https://www.gpsoft.com.au/help/opus12/index.html#!Documents/Prefs/smartfavorites1.htm
Check on startup for folders that no longer exist : When this is turned on, Opus will launch a low-priority background task when it starts to check for folders in the reference table that no longer exist.

Thank you. That was already enabled but unfortunately hasn't been working; the folder remains on the list despite the drive being unmounted. I guess it doesn't work if a whole drive is missing, which would make sense since one would normally want commonly-used folders on USB thumb drives etc. to remain on the list

So I have just cleared the SmartFavorites list and disabled the whole feature.

In the next version, we'll add a FILTER argument that will let you filter the Favorites and Smart Favorites lists using a wildcard.

This won't affect how the lists are stored in memory and on disk, but will prevent paths you don't want to see from appearing in the menu which the Favorites command generates.

e.g. The default Smart Favorites list is generated by this command:

Favorites SMART SHOWICONS USEQUALKEYS NOOPENINTABS

You'll be able to add a FILTER argument to exclude all paths below X:\:

Favorites SMART SHOWICONS USEQUALKEYS NOOPENINTABS FILTER ~(X:\*)
1 Like

Nice addition, I often have folders I don't need to see in there.

If the reason for hiding the folder is that its a sensitive or embarrassing. It would be good if we could prevent them being added to the fav list, instead of just hiding them when the list is rendered.

Sounds good Leo. Thanks!

Might sensitive folders show up in "recently used" lists too? If so, maybe there could be a filter to exclude those from lists too.

@Leo Is this new filter in place now in 12.14 x64? Where exactly would I enter that filter? (I see nowhere to do that in the SmartFavorites preferences)

You can set it up by editing the menu where the SmartFavorites are.

Use Settings > Customize Toolbars to go into editing mode.

Thank you. It took me a while to actually work out what to do, so these are the steps I took (I think my installation is fairly standard):

1. Settings Menu > Customize Toolbars.... A Customize window opens. Leave it open.
  2. Left-click the Favorites menu icon (yellow folder with star on it).
  3. Right-click SmartFavorites at the bottom > Edit
  4. Click Advanced... at the bottom, to get a little more space.
  5. Append FILTER ~(X:\*) after NOOPENINTABS to stop anything in X: drive appearing in the Smart Favorites.
  6. OK > OK to exit.

My SmartFavorites function was lost when I upgraded to 13. So you might want to look at having that configuration carry over automatically.

Great upgrade by the way. I hope you do an in-depth video course on how to use it all, because I'm sure I'm only using a fraction of the functionality.

1 Like

If 13 is installed over 12, modified toolbars should only be reset if you tell Opus to do that when it first runs after updating.

There should also be a backup of the old toolbars you can turn on to copy things out of them. It should be in the Customize > Toolbars list.

1 Like

Thanks. That makes sense. I can't remember exactly what I clicked as I upgraded but I guess I clicked the option to update because I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on the new stuff. So it's fair enough that customization was reset.

1 Like