External DVDRW drive visible in Explorer but not dopus

Hi,

I've got a USB DVDRW drive that shows up in Explorer, but not as an addressable drive in Dopus.
Other external HDD's, USB sticks etc work fine.

If I navigate to the drive (E:) manually in dopus, it works. The 'click to open tray' button also works.

• Are there any settings that might be causing this ?

Directory Opus Pro 12.5 Build 6331 x64
OS 10.0 (B:14393 P:2 T:1) SP 0.0
The drive is a: SONY DVD_RW_DRX-S70U DJ07

Thanks.

Two possibilities are likely:

• The whole Opus process is being run elevated (as administrator), which will block the "media inserted/removed" events from reaching Opus.

Things like antivirus could also block the events reaching the Opus process, in theory, but I've never heard of that happening for these events.

Using UAC and Admin Mode from within Opus is fine. Launching the entire dopus.exe process elevated is not, as it will make it impossible for parts of the Windows shell to talk to parts of Opus.

Or:

• The drive does not properly generate "media inserted/removed" events, so Windows does not know when a disk is put in and does not tell anything else, making the drive loop empty. This would be a flaw in the drive itself (or its firmware), but several drives on the market have this flaw.

If this is what's happening, Explorer won't notice the change either if you are already looking at This PC when you insert a disc, but it may notice it after a few seconds. (Explorer periodically checks if you're viewing This PC, in case of a bad device that doesn't notify on insert/remove.) If Explorer then realises there is a disc in the drive, it will broadcast an event telling other software of it, and Opus will then update automatically as well. (But only if Explorer is open and viewing This PC or something that shows the drive.)

You can configure Opus not to hide empty drives if hiding them causes problems with devices that don't properly notify Windows when they become non-empty.

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply.

You can configure Opus not to hide empty drives if hiding them causes problems with devices that don't properly notify Windows when they become non-empty.

This fixed the issue for me.

How to do this? I have the same issue with external DVD Burner. ~ thanks

You can find this option in preferences->Folders->Virtual Folders->Option "Show empty disk drives".

Michael