Favorites NEWTAB not working

Hello everyone, I'm trying to get quick access to my favorites when opening a new tab. I have several folders saved in favorites and the documentation for the Favorites command lists Favorites NEWTAB. I'm trying to open this up when hitting Ctrl + t

new_key

Somehow nothing shows up? What would be the correct approach to this? am I missing something?

Yes

The Favorites internal command can be used to:
Display a dynamic list of your Favorite folders (either all Favorites or a specific sub-branch)

https://www.gpsoft.com.au/help/opus12/index.html#!Documents/Favorites_Command.htm

What would be the correct approach to this?

Have you tried organizing the folders in tab groups? You can access them e.g. with

Go TABGROUPLOAD=MyTrustyFolders

and

Go TABGROUPLIST

https://www.gpsoft.com.au/help/opus12/index.html#!Documents/Go1.htm
https://www.gpsoft.com.au/help/opus12/index.html#!Documents/Tab_Groups1.htm

Using the favorites as a tab group (like Go TABGROUPLOAD=Favorites) is a neat idea, but I don't think it's possible (yet).

1 Like

You can show the Favorites list in the folder tree, on toolbars, and in menus, but not in the file display itself. (Although we might add that one day.)

If you use the Windows Quick Access folder instead of favorites, that can be displayed in the file display (as well as all the other places), although it's not quite as easy to manage and doesn't allow for branches. On the plus side, it is shared by other parts of Windows, so you can use the same list in File Open dialogs, and so on.

1 Like

@lxp thank you so much for the quick reply! Tab groups are nice to know about, but they are not the feature I'm looking for. But your post made me reconsider the actual use case that I was trying to achieve.

Using traditional explorer, I pin stuff to quick access and cycle through that when opening a new lister. Actually I just want a keyboard-friendly way to quickly access these folders, and I realized I could just add an ampersand to the favorites and go Alt-a-[D]ocuments.

Still, I have to ask- what then is the use case for Favorites NEWTAB?

@Leo Yup, I guess I'll just open a new tab and use the favourites dropdown. Quick Access is not perfect, I like the approach of dopus favorites. I still have to get used to a new mindset for dopus, but I'm loving the trial so far, what a powerful program!

1 Like

Don't forget you can add hotkeys for shortcuts as well.

(You can also make buttons and hotkeys which go to folders without having to add them to shortcuts, too.)

1 Like

yeah, I saw that. I'll definitely consider these as well.

1 Like

Paste this menu into a toolbar and try it out:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<button backcol="none" display="icon" textcol="none" type="menu">
	<label>New Menu</label>
	<icon1>#newmenu</icon1>
	<button backcol="none" display="label" field_type="label" size="full" textcol="none">
		<label>Label</label>
		<icon1>#label</icon1>
		<function type="normal">
			<instruction>Set LABEL</instruction>
		</function>
	</button>
	<button backcol="none" display="both" label_pos="right" separate="yes" textcol="none">
		<label>Fav</label>
		<icon1>#newcommand</icon1>
		<function type="normal">
			<instruction>Favorites</instruction>
		</function>
	</button>
	<button backcol="none" display="label" field_type="label" size="full" textcol="none">
		<label>Label</label>
		<icon1>#label</icon1>
		<function type="normal">
			<instruction>Set LABEL</instruction>
		</function>
	</button>
	<button backcol="none" display="both" label_pos="right" textcol="none">
		<label>Fav NT</label>
		<icon1>#newcommand</icon1>
		<function type="normal">
			<instruction>Favorites NEWTAB </instruction>
		</function>