Feature request: stop the focus stealing "insert a disk"

I have about 18 drives mapped in explorer atm, like most people I imagine, and 8 of them are usually empty (floppy drives, 6 mapped for memory card types i don't use, 4 for virtual cd drives which are usually empty etc etc).

Hunting for the right drive letter for the memory card i've just put in is a total chore as it's a process of trial and error made a lot more difficult by the box that pops up "Please insert a disk into drive L:" etc. and you've got to click this box away as it's app-modal and steals focus, both of which are, IMO, UI no-nos :slight_smile:

Is there any way to get rid of this? Ideally make the icon obvious that the drive's empty or something.... but alternatively just when you select an empty drive it shows something in the file-list-pane indicating there's no filesystem.. not just no files. Like a greyed out pane instead of a blank white one? IYKWIM!111 Maybe a big red SVG exclamation mark :stuck_out_tongue:

This would rock.

Thanks

Stick this button on a toolbar (see here if you've never pasted a button from the forums to your toolbars before):

<?xml version="1.0"?> <button display="both" label_pos="right"> <label>Drive Buttons (Non-Empty)</label> <icon1>116</icon1> <function type="normal"> <instruction>Go DRIVEBUTTONS=labels,lettersbeforelabels,hideempty</instruction> </function> </button>
It will show all of your drives, excluding all of the empty ones.

(If you have a floppy drive it'll always be displayed since there's no good way to detect whether or not it is empty in Windows without generating annoying clicks every time it is checked. Everything else, like your empty memory card drive letters, will be hidden from the toolbar/menu.)

aha this is pretty cool, ta
makes finding the most-recently-inserted-memory-card easier :slight_smile:

olli